Windows 7 Infuriating and frequent "not responding" freezes

klynch5

Hey, i recently upgraded from windows XP to windows seven. When things are working i love it and was hoping it would be the answer to the new popularity of the dumbed down mac's , but I have been having a problem that makes me want to scream and leaves my computer just barely operable.

The problem is that approximately every 10 minutes every program freezes for about 5. During this time i can maximize and minimize windows, hear the sound from a video, even move windows around but if i try to click on any thing in the window or do something such as type nothing happens other than it sits there grayed out with the aero wheel spinning away. After about 5 minutes every thing that i had been doing while frozen ( trying to open programs type or click on anything) happens instantly and everything works perfectly for 10 minutes until it happens again.

I have upgraded my ram, updated my drivers, tried lower graphics setting and every thing else i can think of short of voodoo. Unfortunately i am failing a class because i wasn't able to print in time to turn in a report worth 40% of my grade by the time class started thanks to this frequent and annoying problem.

Here is my system information and I pray some one is able to help me fix this.

Thank you
-Kiel

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/1/2009, 23:23:23
Machine name: KIEL-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (7100.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DXP051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3584MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM
Page File: 791MB used, 6370MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7100.0000 32bit Unicode

Hey klynch5, Welcome.

When this all happens what does your cpu usage look like in task manager? Check for a process that is maxing out. Since you upgraded from Windows XP it could be an application that isn't fully compatible with Windows 7 yet that is starting with windows.

What you could also do is go into "msconfig" (type msconfig in the search bar when you click start), Now on the "General" tab select the "Diagnostic Startup" radio button. (This will make windows only load the basic stuff). Restart your PC. Now see if the preblem persists, if it has gone away you have isolated the problem, you can now have a look at the "Startup" tab in "msconfig" and start disabling applications from starting with windows until you find the trouble maker. It may also be a service but try this first

Of course if you find an application in task manager thats maxing out that would be the problem program and you could try disabling that in "msconfig" before attempting anything else

Back