Windows 8 Install Win 8 Upgrade

water spirit

I am going to download Win 8 and install it as an upgrade to an existing Win 7 oem on a Toshiba Laptop. I have run the pre- assessment tool and the result was OK. I want to do a fresh install of Win 7 prior to upgrading, I have the disk's to do that. Will I have to update the fresh install including the service pack prior to upgading to Win 8 ? or can I just upgrade the fresh installation ?

Why go through the trouble of fresh installing Win 7. Why not just Custom (Clean) install Win 8?

During the download of Win 8 choose Save Nothing, then choose Custom Install. You will be given and option of Install now, Install by Creating Media or Install later from desktop. Choose Install by creating media. This will allow you to burn the ISO file to DVD to use. (Right click the ISO file and choose Burn Disk Image). This creates a bootable DVD. This will also then give you an installation media for future use.

Now boot to the DVD and install Win 8 from there without having to do anything to Win 7.

If you decide to go ahead and Upgrade Win 7, no you do not have to update it, but why bother going through this extra step.

Why not just Custom (Clean) install Win 8?
During the download of Win 8 choose Save Nothing, then choose Custom Install. You will be given and option of Install now, Install by Creating Media or Install later from desktop. Choose Install by creating media. This will allow you to burn the ISO file to DVD to use. (Right click the ISO file and choose Burn Disk Image). This creates a bootable DVD. This will also then give you an installation media for future use.

Now boot to the DVD and install Win 8 from there without having to do anything to Win 7.

I will do as you have advised, that is exactly what I want. It is a multi- media laptop with lots of drivers which get installed from the disks I have from the Win 7 installation but I have copied them to another partition and can install them from there.
Thank you.

You might very well find out that Win 8 Pro will have the drivers you need, at least default drivers that work until you get the opportunity to upgrade them. And since you have the drivers saved, you should be golden.

Back
Top Bottom