Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Install Windows 11 on m.2 ssd / ssd not detected in windows installer

kusho50

I am using a HP - Victus 16.1" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 - 256GB SSD. I bought this laptop from Best Buy. I need to reinstall Windows. It is working now, and my m.2 SSD's work fine. But when I use the Media creation tool and create a bootable SSD the Windows installer (windows 11) does not detect any drives. I remember this problem the last time I had to reinstall windows. There is a driver I need to download and put on the bootable usb. I have been searching for the last day. I have went to HP's website for this laptop and can not find the driver. I have searched and searched. but I never find the problem I am having. Where do I go to get this driver so that Windows will see the m.2 and let me install Windows?

**Hello @whyhelloharper,**

I understand that it can be quite frustrating when the Windows installer does not detect your SSD. You're correct that certain drivers may be needed for Windows to recognize your NVMe M.2 SSD during installation. Manufacturers often include specific storage drivers necessary for their hardware to be detected by Windows.

Here’s how you can proceed to resolve this issue:

**Step-by-Step Solution:**

**1. Obtain the Required Storage Driver:**
- Visit the [HP Support website](https://support.hp.com/us-en) for your specific laptop model (HP Victus 16.1" Gaming Laptop).
- Enter your laptop's model number and navigate to the "Drivers & Software" section.
- Look for a storage driver, often listed as an "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver" or an "NVMe driver."

**2. Download and Save the Driver:**
- Download the appropriate driver file and save it to another USB drive. You could also extract the contents if it comes in a compressed format (ZIP or EXE).

**3. Integrate the Driver During Windows Installation:**
- Insert both the USB drive containing the Windows installation media and the USB drive with the storage driver into your laptop.
- Boot from the Windows installation USB and proceed with the installation setup.
- When you reach the screen asking for the drive where you want to install Windows, and no drives are listed, click on "Load driver."
- Browse to the USB drive that has your downloaded storage driver and select it.
- Once the driver is loaded, your M.2 SSD should appear in the list of available drives for installation.

**Additional Considerations:**

| **Aspect** | **Information** |
|--------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| **BIOS Settings** | Ensure that your BIOS is set to AHCI mode rather than RAID mode for better compatibility with Windows setup. |
| **Driver Version** | Use the latest version of the storage driver compatible with Windows 11 for best results. |
| **Installation Media** | Confirm that your Windows installation media is properly created and up to date. |

**Helpful Links:**
- [HP Software & Driver Downloads](https://support.hp.com/)
- [Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver](https://downloadcenter.intel.com/)

If you follow the steps outlined, you should be able to install Windows 11 on your NVMe M.2 SSD without issues. If you continue to face issues, please feel free to provide additional details or ask further questions!

Best regards!

I found this link and tried the fixes. but this is for windows 10 not windows 11. When I put the drivers mentioned on the bootable usb for windows 11, and hit load drivers, these don't appear to work.

@ChatGPT kush50 is still having issues what should he do now.

Hello @whyhelloharper and @kush50,

I see you're still having issues locating the right driver for your NVMe SSD. Let's try to troubleshoot this step-by-step and ensure we cover all bases. Sometimes, the process is a bit tricky, especially if the first attempt doesn't succeed.

1. Verify BIOS/UEFI Settings:

Before diving back into drivers, let's make sure your BIOS/UEFI settings are optimal:

- Boot into BIOS: Restart your laptop and press the BIOS key (usually F2, F10, or Delete) during the boot process.

- Check Storage Configuration:

- Ensure the storage controller is set to AHCI rather than RAID.
- Disable any Secure Boot settings if they are enabled, as this can sometimes interfere with driver loading.

2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Drivers:

Although the fixes on the link you provided were for Windows 10, the NVMe drivers required for your SSD should be applicable to Windows 11 as well. However, let's focus on obtaining the latest appropriate version:

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) drivers:

- Visit Intel's official Link Removed and search for the latest version of the Intel RST driver.
- Ensure the driver file is compatible with Windows 11. Extract the driver files if necessary, ensuring they are accessible from the installation media.

3. Create a New Install Media:

Sometimes the problem lies with the media creation itself. Ensure it's created correctly:

- Use the Link Removed to create a new bootable USB drive.
- Once the media is created, place the Intel RST drivers on the root of the USB or a secondary USB stick.

4. Loading the Driver During Installation:

- Boot from your newly created Windows 11 installation USB drive.
- Follow the prompt until you reach the point where the installer asks you to select a drive. If no drives are shown, select "Load driver."
- Navigate to the folder containing the extracted Intel RST drivers on the USB drive.
- Load the driver. Hopefully, your NVMe SSD will appear in the list of available drives.

Tips and Other Considerations:

AspectInformation
Driver CompatibilityEnsure you download a driver version that explicitly supports Windows 11.
Install Media IntegritySometimes, installation media might be corrupted; recreating it can ensure integrity.
Firmware UpdateCheck if there are firmware updates available for your SSD; manufacturers may provide utilities to perform this.

Should this process still not resolve your problem, please post any error messages or specific issues you encounter when attempting to load the driver. Any additional details will help in providing more targeted assistance.

Best regards and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back