Windows 8 Installation of iTunes with relation to regedit

webmok

Hi guys,
Whenever I try to install the newest iTunes, I get this error:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES32\Software\Classes\.m3u could not be opened. Verify that you have sufficient access to the key, or contact the support technicians."

How can I fix this?

I'm using Windows 8 (but that shouldn't be a problem?), 128GB HDD, 8GB RAM.

Please help!

/ Webmokken

Certain types of anti-virus programs may block parts of some installs. Can you try turning off such programs for testing?

Did you try running the install with a "Run as Admin" option?

Are you installing both iTunes and QuickTime during the install?

Certain types of anti-virus programs may block parts of some installs. Can you try turning off such programs for testing?

Did you try running the install with a "Run as Admin" option?

Are you installing both iTunes and QuickTime during the install?

Thanks for answering :)

I don't use anti-virus programs, and yes, I've tried running it as an administrator

I only try installing iTunes, not Quicktime, but this doesn't help...

Damn I would hate it, if I had to reinstall this OS. This is not my first softwareinstallation which doesn't work on this OS. Clearly it isn't out of beta

Did you check the registry for the key indicated, and is it present? If it is there, what permissions are shown for different users. Might be read only or read and Full Control for the System and Admins. Others just have Read permission. Since the install is probably trying to change the default behavior of that file type, it may not be able to, but it should currently be associated with WMP11. You might try editing the install options and not allow it to assume control of that file type.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.m3u

Do you have the Windows Media Center installed?

If you do not get it worked out, I could try to install iTunes, before you reinstall your OS!

Since you haven't responded, I will tell you I have installed iTunes without problems. I do have the Windows Media Center installed.

QuickTime does not seem to be part of this iTunes Install.

Solved my problem! I downloaded the RegMagik-software, and through that deleted the .m3u string, so now it works :)

'webmok,

"I don't use anti-virus programs"

What the heck do you mean by this?? Do you mean besides the security (Windows Defender) that is native to Windows 8? Since there is no need to install other security I sure as heck hope you are not saying you have turned Defender off. If you, actually, are not using any security PLEASE do not be connected to the Net or else you not only are putting yourself @ risk but, also the rest of the computers in the world.

It is dead wrong & bordering on criminal to run a machine on the Net w/out security!

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

'webmok,

"I don't use anti-virus programs"

What the heck do you mean by this?? Do you mean besides the security (Windows Defender) that is native to Windows 8? Since there is no need to install other security I sure as heck hope you are not saying you have turned Defender off. If you, actually, are not using any security PLEASE do not be connected to the Net or else you not only are putting yourself @ risk but, also the rest of the computers in the world.

It is dead wrong & bordering on criminal to run a machine on the Net w/out security!

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 1056

Excuse me? Please tone down the attitude. You can easily pass the information on without all the bluster and 'hecks'.

Yeah, ok... I, just get upset, passionate, mad, scared, freaked out & irate when some says they are using no protection... gets me a wee bit emotional. But, I'm feeling much better now. Do hope he got the point, though. I'll try to express it differently, if I ever see another one.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Back