Windows 7 Installing window 7 64Bit with the 32 bit license

Sast

Hello,

I have the legit version of Windows 7 32 bit, it has 2 cds inside, i presume one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit.

I upgraded from windows xp 32 bit.

Is it possible to install windows 64 bit using the 64 bit cd? or could I download windows 7 64 bit, burn it to a cd and install it using the license key I have?

Or would I have to buy the full upgrade to use 64 bit?

There is one key for both 32 and 64. You can do a clean install of 7x64 and activate it with your license key. :)

Brilliant! thanks for the quick reply, it's not something i'm looking to do right away, but in the summer when I give me a pc an upgrade.

I will keep your reply in mind.

Once again, Thanks!

I was thinking about the same issue and then I came across this:

"10. Will I receive a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate all ship with 32-bit and 64-bit discs; however, please be aware that only one registration code is provided with each order and this will be applied to whichever disk you choose to register. "

reading that it sounds like if you install the 32-bit disk and enter the licence key then that licence key becomes the key for 32-bit version only and won't subsequently work with the 64 bit disk.
Likewise if you install the 64-bit first and use the key then it won't subsequently work with the 32 bit disk.

I found the info on amazon's windows 7 FAQs page at:

Amazon.co.uk: Windows 7 Frequently Asked Questions

scroll down the page to point number 10.

Does anyone have any updates on the situation, is it really choose 32-bit or 64-bit for ever the first time you enter the licence key?

I would first assume the OP meant to replace the 32 bit with the 64 bit, which is legal. If you are thinking about installing both on the same computer, many folks feel that is not allowed. Installing either version on another computer at the same time is not allowed, but you can move it if it is not an OEM version.

If you do replace a version it will probably take a phone registration to straighten things out, but you won't know until you try.

Last edited:
thanks saltgrass, but I was already assuming the OP meant to replace the 32 bit with the 64 bit.
When I said:

'reading that it sounds like if you install the 32-bit disk and enter the licence key then that licence key becomes the key for 32-bit version only and won't subsequently work with the 64 bit disk.
Likewise if you install the 64-bit first and use the key then it won't subsequently work with the 32 bit disk.'

Thats what I meant. The windows 7 faqs page link I posted seems to suggest that once you install the 32-bit disc, enter the licence key and go through the product activation then that licence key is permanently linked to the 32-bit version. At some future point replacing 32 bit with 64 bit won't work as the licence key is now only for the 32 bit version.

Also vice-versa - installing 64 bit first and activating means you can't use the 32-bit disc with the licence key (if you wanted to replace your 64 bit install with the 32 bit version).

At least thats what the faqs page seems to be saying. It seems a bit odd to me but who knows?

Well, I have never heard the key would be tied to just one version after the install, so I do not think this is true. One way to find out would be to try it...Let us know what happens .. ;)

Well, I have never heard the key would be tied to just one version after the install, so I do not think this is true. One way to find out would be to try it...Let us know what happens .. ;)

It's not true, you can install either 32bit or 64bit and the key is tied to the machine and not the version (32 or 64)

I have a similar situation:
My laptop came with Win Vista 32-bit pre-installed, and a key for it on the sticker.
I later upgraded it to 32-bit Win7 Ultimate, using a valid upgrade key.

Now I want to change it to Win7 64-bit Ultimate, and I have the 64-bit installer (downloaded)

If I boot from 64-bit media, choose a "Custom Install" into the partition where the 32-bit Win7 is, will the upgrade key that I used for the 32-bit work?

Back