Windows 7 Intel RST and Windows 7

RGR1

Recently I was asked to repair a Dell desktop PC running Windows 7. It had multiple problems, one of which was Windows update didn't work. I suspected corrupt system files. Running system file check did not help, nor did DISM. I looked at the registry and Windows services, but neither were of any help in solving the problems. I was stumped for the time being and thought about this for a week and did quite a bit of research on the web. It turned out the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application that came installed on the Dell PC was broken. Trying to figure out which version of RST was compatible with the OS and hardware turned out to be an adventure, but everything is working again now that RST is reinstalled and functioning properly.

This is my first post here, and I don't normally hang out on forums like this, but I thought I'd share this in case it might save others the same trouble. I realize it's entirely possible that everyone knows about this problem and fix but me. :)

Last edited:
This certainly isn't the first time an OEM storage driver has caused problems. This also occurs with Dell and HP systems running their RAID storage controller app too. Customers will get in there and start changing settings trying to fix their own problem, which invariably causes the BIOS to stop recognizing the hard drive Windows is installed on and nasty error messages including BSODs ensue. My favorite part is when you get about 2 weeks into the problem, you get a hold of the default factory settings from the Users Manual and discover the Customer, or someone the Customer had work on their computer and didn't bother to tell you about, incorrectly changed a bunch of settings! Changing them back to defaults often is the fix for that kind of meddling.:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing your solution.

Hope to see you back in the future, when you have a problem you CANNOT solve yourself.

Best, :nerdie:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Quiet honestly, I don't see the need for the Intel Rapid Storage app on a typical home/office PC with a single hard drive. I did a new install of Windows on a Dell PC recently, and it runs just fine without RST.

I repaired another PC recently that was getting unstable with multiple BSOD's. SFC worked perfectly to solve this one. An easy fix for a change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom