Windows 7 Internet application issues - fresh built PC

Greenemachine

I just last month built a new Shuttle PC for a relative (specs below). The problem I am having is that whenever you Try to open a Internet application such as Firefox, IE, or AOL it takes a good 90-120 or so seconds to open the application. Once it opens the actual internet is fast as usual. Every other application opens up blazing fast. I have made sure the the Ethernet drivers are up to date. Any one have suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Specs

Shuttle SH61R4 barebones
Intel pentium 2.6ghz g620 sandy bridge processor
8gb of crucial ballistix sport ram
windows 7 64 bit

What AV and other security software are you using? That seems really slow to respond.
Joe

1. First, you could try basic checks from Microsoft:
Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try - Help & How-to- Microsoft Windows
(Use the "Fix-It" tool there).

The "add ons" would be the first thing to check. (They take time to load). Try loading IE and FF with no add-ons. Here's how:
How To Start Firefox and Internet Explorer Without Add-ons

2. Run ccleaner CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download to clear your cache and temp Internet files.

3. Try To reset the browsers:
IE RESET: (Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Internet Explorer Reset.)
FF RESET: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

4. Do a Windows Update - make sure you have all the critical updates applied.

5. Update the browsers to the most recent versions.

6. Uninstall toolbars!

As a long shot, I read about one guy that solved this by just removing the software that came with his Lexmark 5560 printer that was not compatible with WIN7 64.

Try the above and get back to us.

1. First, you could try basic checks from Microsoft:
Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try - Help & How-to- Microsoft Windows
(Use the "Fix-It" tool there).

The "add ons" would be the first thing to check. (They take time to load). Try loading IE and FF with no add-ons. Here's how:
How To Start Firefox and Internet Explorer Without Add-ons

2. Run ccleaner CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download to clear your cache and temp Internet files.

3. Try To reset the browsers:
IE RESET: (Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Internet Explorer Reset.)
FF RESET: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

4. Do a Windows Update - make sure you have all the critical updates applied.

5. Update the browsers to the most recent versions.

6. Uninstall toolbars!

As a long shot, I read about one guy that solved this by just removing the software that came with his Lexmark 5560 printer that was not compatible with WIN7 64.

Try the above and get back to us.

Thank you for the suggestions but it's still an issue, I've tried them all. This computer is brand new and clean as a whistle, no add ons, bloatware etc. However I did just install chrome on it and that opens lightning fast like every other program. It appears to be only Firefox, IE, and AOL. When I open any one of those three it takes about 1-3 mins to open and be useable.

It frustrates me further that chrome works perfect and the others don't. What could be different that creates that problem.

Are you saying that this happens in safe mode as well? (Second part of my suggestion #1)?

I just last month built a new Shuttle PC for a relative (specs below). The problem I am having is that whenever you Try to open a Internet application such as Firefox, IE, or AOL it takes a good 90-120 or so seconds to open the application. Once it opens the actual internet is fast as usual. Every other application opens up blazing fast. I have made sure the the Ethernet drivers are up to date. Any one have suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Specs

Shuttle SH61R4 barebones
Intel pentium 2.6ghz g620 sandy bridge processor
8gb of crucial ballistix sport ram
windows 7 64 bit

Use Ccleaner and free up the RAM. I suggest you to install Google Chrome for internet access. Check the internet connection also.

Are you saying that this happens in safe mode as well? (Second part of my suggestion #1)?

I just tried it in safe mode again and they seem to open up quick with no problem in safe mode. What could the problem be?

Last edited:
Hi

If it works OK in Safe Mode, then it may be a conflict of some sort with something else that opens on boot.

Since you have CCleaner open it, go to "Tools", "Startup".

Look for anything that might be a problem and disable all the things that you don't need to have start.

I only have 3 things that start on boot, Java, my Keyboard software itype and Rocket Dock.

Everything else (18 total) are turned off.

You can re-enable them anytime so there's no risk.
If turning all this stuff off fixes the problem you can turn things back on a couple at a time and narrow it down to what's causing the problem.

Look for things that are browser, or internet connection related.

Mike

If you are not sure and want us to check your start up items, in CCleaner-Tools-Startup on the bottom right, there is a button "Save to text file". Export to text and upload here.

Please export 4 files. One for each tab in the Start-up Window:
Windows
Internet Explorer
Scheduled Tasks
Context menu

Hi

If it works OK in Safe Mode, then it may be a conflict of some sort with something else that opens on boot.

Since you have CCleaner open it, go to "Tools", "Startup".

Look for anything that might be a problem and disable all the things that you don't need to have start.

I only have 3 things that start on boot, Java, my Keyboard software itype and Rocket Dock.

Everything else (18 total) are turned off.

You can re-enable them anytime so there's no risk.
If turning all this stuff off fixes the problem you can turn things back on a couple at a time and narrow it down to what's causing the problem.

Look for things that are browser, or internet connection related.

Mike

I disabled all of them and still the problem continues. I've attached those lists. View attachment IE.txtView attachment SchedTasks.txtView attachment windows.txt
i left off context menu because it was empty.

Thanks again for the help.

1. Did you restart after disabling?
2. You need to export a text file for each tab separately and rename them. The one you uploaded only has the "Windows" tab. I want to also see the other tabs.
3. What version of IE do you have? Tools\About (i.e. version 9.0.8112.16421)

Last edited:
I know this is old now however I never figured out the issue. I broke down and reinstalled win7 and its back to working normal. Now my question is this, how can I go about locking this thing down so that nothing can be installed, only certain applications have Internet access, etc. I want to make sure nothing changes to cause this issue again. Ive already disabled windows updates to never update. Thanks again.

Hi! Glad you worked it out. It's always a bummer when you have to re-install Windows.

I can tell you for certainty, that it's not a Windows update that would cause a 120 sec delay in IE opening. You should always let Windows install critical updates, as many of them include security patches which is exactly what you need so this problem shouldn't happen again.

The only way this can happen again is if unwanted software\addware\toolbars\addons etc are installed. These are only installed by users. When you install anything, always choose "Custom install"" and NOT "Express install", "Recommended install" etc... READ before you click "next"! Uncheck anything during the installation process that you don't want.

If you are the only user, great. If not, you may want to restrict other users from being able to install anything.

You can also restrict software from Internet access via rules in Windows Firewall.

You should install a free software called "EaseUS Todo Backup Free 5.0" and every few weeks, if your computer is running fine, do a complete image backup of your C drive. If anything should ever happen again, you can restore your computer to the state it was in at the last backup in about 15 minutes. (Much better than "Windows restore"! I myself have even disabled the Windows restore completely.)

I didn't include explanations or links in this post but if you need help in anything I wrote, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom