Internet Explorer 8 - New Tab (Connecting...)

jeradw

Senior Member
#1
Hello all!

I am seeing this strange behavior on a couple of our computers. All of the installs are with Windows 7 Enterprise and they have been "clean" installed.

I can try to open up a link via a new tab using the middle mouse button, or the right-click menu, but tabs just sits at "Connecting..."

Things I have tried:

1. Tools|Internet Options|Advanced|Reset
2. Open up CMD and run "regsvr32 actxprxy.dll" and reboot
3. Remove Internet Explorer 8 from Programs and Features; Add it back in
4. Open up IE8 without Addons

Nothing has seemed to fix this issue. Anyone else having this problem? FireFox seems to be just fine - I can open up new tabs without a hitch.

Any ideas?
 


kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
#2
Hi jeradw,

have you tried changing the settings you can see in the screenshot? If that's no use, have you run any virus/malware scans lately?
 


jeradw

Senior Member
#3
If I change the setting to "Your first home page" and open a new tab with CTRL+T, the homepage works just fine. However the problem persists when I try to open a link in a new tab...then it just sits there.

I have run malware/spyware scans, yes.
 


kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
#4
After doing some googling it appears this problem is quite common. This solution might be worth a try...

How to Fix ‘Open in New Tab/Window’ problem in IE8 ?

For quickness I've copied and pasted below..

To resolve this issue, re-register the DLL files that are related to Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run
2. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Click OK when you receive the following message:
  • DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the rest of the DLL files by replacing the regsvr32 urlmon.dll command in the Open box with the following commands:
  • regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
  • regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
  • regsvr32 mshtml.dll
  • regsvr32 browseui.dll
  • regsvr32 jscript.dll
  • regsvr32 vbscript.dll
  • regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
Now your IE8 Open in New Window/Tab feature, should work simply fine.
 


jeradw

Senior Member
#5
Hmmm...I tried the fix. There were a couple of dlls that returned errors.

The module "shdocvw.dll" was loaded by the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded by the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
The module "browseui.dll" was loaded by the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

I restarted my computer, but the Connecting... bug seems to remain. :(
 


#6
Hi,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having pretty much the exact same problem.
 


jeradw

Senior Member
#7
I ended up rebuilding my machine, but a coworker is having this problem now as well - so we may look into this more. I will let you know if we find a solution.
 


#8
Ok, thanks.
 


#9
Well it's working now!

I got desperate and decided to try running the .bat file on this website:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/e312e580-1cbc-496b-8c6b-b69b8535a7bb
And it worked! I can't believe it.
 


jeradw

Senior Member
#10
Wonderful! We have a PC with this problem again. I am going to test said batch file on it...I will report back!
 


Last edited:
#11
I believe you`ve already solved this. So just for the record....the same happened to me today - after I changed few settings in IE8.
The default installation was ok, the issue occured after I made the changes.
My resolution was - running IE8 again as administrator. That actually did it.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.