Windows 8 Is beta time coming again?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I saw this article, if it's true I'm all in to start beta testing it.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to have a real beta testing, if they are going to make major changes and call it a new OS.

I'm pretty sure that when I beta tested Windows 7 it was close to a year before it shipped similar but a little less, for Windows 8.

So when are they going to start beta for Windows 9?

Or is this just more pie in the sky?
Looking at the sales issues with Windows 8, it's probably almost necessary to rebrand it as something else as they did with Vista.

But how about listening to the masses for a change, I'd like to have some input.
If they were smart they would ask for it.

Create a web page for people to make suggestions...

"What would you like to see in Windows 9"

Search the responses for key words.
If the same thing comes up a million times take a hint and pay attention to what people want.

Mike

"What would you like to see in Windows 9"

I think we've seen more than enough with Windows 8. And that question should be rephrased and should read:

"What WOULDN'T you like to see in Windows 9"

And my answer is simple... the metro crap on desktop machines .

Cheers!

I think we've seen more than enough with Windows 8. And that question should be rephrased and should read:

"What WOULDN'T you like to see in Windows 9"

And my answer is simple... the metro crap on desktop machines .

Cheers!
Actually it looks like thats the angle that they may be going with, but no confirmation. Obviously, to justify another release, I have to assume there would be additional performance enhancements on the kernel and the system services as well.

I noticed a comment under the message stating that people don't have any problem with picking up a completely different OS for the pad and phone, i.e. Android and IOs, plus the Amazon version of Android.

They're suggesting that people don't see an issue with having a different OS on their tablet and phone then the do on their PC.

I think that's correct, when we got our iPad I didn't say I wish this worked like Windows, I accepted that it was different and just got used to it.

After all I was working with a touch screen, not a mouse and keyboard, I didn't expect it to work the same.
I don't think a pad with a touch screen is the same thing, you can do a lot of stuff on you PC that you just can't do on a tablet.

A tablet has a lot of restrictions.

But I don't carry my PC around and shoot video with it, or take pictures, or haul it to my doctors office to kill time while a wait.

On the other hand I don't retouch my photos or edit my video on my iPad, (just too limiting) I move the files to my PC edit them and then move them back to my iPad or to some kind of cloud storage that makes them available to my tablet.

I've been considering buying a Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9.
I'm not even thinking about buying a Windows tablet even though it does have an OS that I'm familiar with.

What's important to me is the high resolution screen and the 8 megapixel camera, and of course the price.

I don't really care if I have to learn a new operating system, if it does what I want it to do.
I can't even find a Windows tablet that has a 1920 by 1080 screen.

Millions of people are running around with IOS and Android devices, moving to Windows 8 would be just as hard for them as for me to go the other way. They aren't going to buy a Windows device for the OS.

And I don't think that a PC or Mac user is going to pick a certain device just because of the operating system.

But we do know that apparently a lot of people will decide not to buy something because of the operating system, if it happens to be Windows 8.

Mike

I think one of the main problem with MS is branding. They have a malfunctioning marketing group. If they named Windows 8 with something else instead of continuing the "Windows #" series, users will probably expect something different instead of what they have been used to. They should have called it a different name that will give users an idea of what to expect like "iWin" or "TouchOS", etc.

Look at the name of their tablets... Surface RT, Surface Pro, Surface 2.... WHAT? There are gazillions of different words out there...

Back