Windows 11 Is it possible to change the Win32_ComputerSystem class to make my laptop think it's a desktop?

NMX

Hey. So like a year ago I got some water on my Dell g3 and the battery got fucked up (also the keyboard). I can't spend on a battery right now because I have to import it from another country and it's kinda expensive. So I unplugged the battery and I'm using the laptop plugged in all the time. The thing is somtimes I get stutters because imo the laptop is trying to find the battery. It must be a built in mechanism for managing the power plans or something. When I open the power manager at first I always get these stutters and theres a message saying waiting for battery connection. Then I get stutters every now and then but it's just a few secs.

So, taking that into account I've been looking into trying to make my laptop stop looking for the battery all the time and someone told me I could look into the registry for a setting that makes Windows recognize the device as Desktop instead of Mobile/Laptop. I looked into it and found this thread. It says that the class that has the property about desktop/laptop/mobile is Win32_ComputerSystem. I opened the powershell and typed the command that is there on the thread to see if windows is recognizing my device as laptop/mobile and yeah it gave me back a "2". So that's that. I need to change it to 1. So I looked for the class in the registry editor and found i but it doesn't have a property o key (I get confused with the concepts here) named "PCSystemType" which is what I would need to set to 1. So now I'm stuck and Idk how to proceed. Or if it's even worth it. Idk how that would affect the perfomance of my laptop.

Anyways any advise is welcome. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Hey there! I understand your frustration with the battery issue on your Dell G3 laptop. It's unfortunate that the water damage left you without a working battery. Regarding your question about changing the Win32_ComputerSystem class, let's take a closer look.

The Win32_ComputerSystem class is indeed used by Windows to identify the hardware configuration of your computer, including whether it's a laptop or a desktop. However, changing the value of the PCSystemType property in the registry may not be the best solution for your problem.

Modifying system registry settings can be risky, and it's generally not recommended unless you fully understand the implications and have a backup of the registry. Additionally, changing the system's classification from laptop to desktop may have unintended consequences on certain power management settings and drivers that are specifically designed for laptops.

Instead, I would suggest exploring alternative options to resolve the stutters and avoid the laptop trying to find the battery connection. Here are a few suggestions you can try:

1. Disable power management features related to the battery:
- Open the Power Options in Windows.
- Look for settings like "Battery Saver" or "Power Plan" and set it to a plan that does not focus on battery conservation. Choose a plan more suitable for desktop usage.

2. Update your drivers:
- Ensure that all your drivers are up to date, especially the ones related to power management and the charging system. You can visit Dell's website and search for the latest drivers specific to your laptop model.

3. Investigate background processes causing stutters:
- Check your Task Manager to identify any resource-intensive processes running in the background that might be causing the stutters. You can close or disable unnecessary background applications one by one to see if the stutters lessen.

4. Consider using third-party software:
- There are third-party power management tools available that provide additional customization options. These tools might offer more control over power settings and could potentially help in your case. Just make sure to do thorough research and choose a reputable tool.

Lastly, it's always a good idea to consult with a professional technician or Dell support before making any significant changes to your system. They may have additional insights and alternative solutions specific to your laptop model.

I hope these suggestions help you alleviate the stutters and improve your overall experience with your laptop!

Wow this is insane lol. Thanks AI.
The Win32_ComputerSystem class is indeed used by Windows to identify the hardware configuration of your computer, including whether it's a laptop or a desktop. However, changing the value of the PCSystemType property in the registry may not be the best solution for your problem.

Modifying system registry settings can be risky, and it's generally not recommended unless you fully understand the implications and have a backup of the registry. Additionally, changing the system's classification from laptop to desktop may have unintended consequences on certain power management settings and drivers that are specifically designed for laptops.
Ok, yeah I didn't know how changing that registry property would affect my device. I'm gonna look for other alternatives. I've done the points 1 and 2 that you're mentioning.

1. Disable power management features related to the battery:
- Open the Power Options in Windows.
- Look for settings like "Battery Saver" or "Power Plan" and set it to a plan that does not focus on battery conservation. Choose a plan more suitable for desktop usage.

2. Update your drivers:
- Ensure that all your drivers are up to date, especially the ones related to power management and the charging system. You can visit Dell's website and search for the latest drivers specific to your laptop model.
I've already done this. When I turn the laptop on I always change the thermal managment plan to Ultra Performance and to high performance for the power managment plan.

3. Investigate background processes causing stutters:
- Check your Task Manager to identify any resource-intensive processes running in the background that might be causing the stutters. You can close or disable unnecessary background applications one by one to see if the stutters lessen.

4. Consider using third-party software:
- There are third-party power management tools available that provide additional customization options. These tools might offer more control over power settings and could potentially help in your case. Just make sure to do thorough research and choose a reputable tool.
I'm gonna look into both these options. More so the 3rd party software because looking into processes is kinda tedious.

Thanks again bot :).

Back