Windows 8 Is it worth the change from windows 7?

Gil80

Extraordinary Member
Hi all,

It's been a while since Win 8 came out and there's a lot of debate whether it's worth the upgrade from Win 7.

I installed Win 8 on my laptop just to play with it for a while. I know for a fact that I cannot work with the tiles and without having the start button.
Regardless, my current desktop is built for gaming and photo editing and it's fairly new. As you all know, installing new version of windows is a tedious task. Everyone like to tweak it the way they see fit and then some.

If we take into account that not everything is 100% compatible yet with Win 8, giving your experience, is there any major benefit from Win 7? Will my Core i7 3770K 4.5Ghz with Intel 520 240GB SSD and 16GB RAM will benefit from Win 8 in any way?
Will it work faster? Easier to manage? Less RAM usage?

Even after installing Win 8 on my laptop I wasn't able to come to a conclusion if I should do a fresh install for my desktop.

Thanks everyone!

I prefer Windows 8 now I've been using it a while and I couldn't go back. Windows 8 does use RAM and the CPU better than 7 does as it's more efficient with their usage. Benchmark wise though there's little to differentiate the two. To be honest there isn't many apps I've found to be incompatible and even if they are many will work after changing the compatibility mode.
You might also be interested to know about the upcoming 8.1 update or service pack. It will be offered through the store and has GUI changes as well as adding back some missing features such as start orb and boot straight to desktop. A public preview will be release around June 26.

I've found Windows 8 to be more resource efficient but with your system I can't we any really performance benefits from the upgrade. Some people can't rand he interface but I like it personally. It comes down to personal preference. Given the choice between upgrading immediately or waiting until the next time they have to reinstall Windows, I'd probably recommend they just wait. Upgrading and getting everything set up the way you like it might not be preferable as at core, W8 doesn't add a lot that isn't in W7.

Thanks for the help guys!

Do you know if it's possible to purchase Win 8 for cheap? (less then $200)?

@Kemical, is it possible to install the Win 8 Pro upgrade as a fresh install? I didn't see a version of Win 8 pro full install.

The cheapest way to get Windows 8 is either with a new PC/Tablet or buy an OEM version from either Newegg or Amazon. Although a UK prices see how cheap it is via OEM and Amazon:

Amazon.co.uk: windows 8 oem

OEM = Original equipment manufacturer:

Original equipment manufacturer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are a new computer or tablet, you might want to check and see which version of Windows 8 comes with it. I bought a new computer a while back, and it came with the cheaper version of Windows 8.

It is worth the upgrade. I always wanted the newest and to be honest ever since XP and some degree 95 they all looked the same with some improvements. Windows 8 is different. Looks different and acts different. If you want same or close you can go desktop or new with apps. It runs some much smoother and quicker than any other operating system. Yes I have 7 on laptop and 8 on PC. The PC is an upgrade to 7 Premium and is not the Pro Edition. It has been solid and 7 on laptop is slow in comparison. When I was running 7 I thought man this thing is fast after all it was new and then 8 put it to shame. Just my observation.

It is worth the upgrade. I always wanted the newest and to be honest ever since XP and some degree 95 they all looked the same with some improvements. Windows 8 is different. Looks different and acts different. If you want same or close you can go desktop or new with apps. It runs some much smoother and quicker than any other operating system. Yes I have 7 on laptop and 8 on PC. The PC is an upgrade to 7 Premium and is not the Pro Edition. It has been solid and 7 on laptop is slow in comparison. When I was running 7 I thought man this thing is fast after all it was new and then 8 put it to shame. Just my observation.
I'm with you on that one, although as a rule the general public hates change.

Back