Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft: Hey we've got a great Office application being released for you guys.

User: Great! What's it called?

Microsoft: It's called Office 365 and can be streamed online.

User: Oh so it's called Office 365 then..

Microsoft: Well actually it's called Office 15.

User: Oh ok Office 15 it is then..

Microsoft: Well.. Actually it's called Office 13.

User: Huh?

Warning!

Avast users turn off Sandbox before running any Office 365 apps. It will otherwise break your install.

And have you seen this System requirements for Office 2013 Preview
Looks like you must be using Windows 7 or later?
Can it be possible that it may not even run or perhaps install on Vista or older systems?

Interesting to see if anyone has tried. We seem to be talking about two different Office suites here though? One problem I had, when I installed Office Pro 2013, preview, was that I had, on my computer, a couple of old apps from earlier Office suites. One was the old warhorse, FrontPage, which I learned to use thoroughly and found it easy to set up my initial pages, before transferring them to something more advanced. Office 2013 refused to install and told me I would have to uninstall the legacy apps first. I did this, installed easily, and then reinstalled FrontPage without any further problems.

2013 transferred all my old settings from 2010, automatically. Not a lot of difference in the daily use, a few more features which are mostly optional .

This where the confusion comes in... Office 2013 Preview is actually the online portion or otherwise known as Office 365 if your a business user.
Office 2013 Pro is the actual Office of old (well updated of course). My actual issue stemmed from the online version of the app. The offline version installed and ran as it should. As soon as I tried to open Word using Preview or Office 365 Avast thought it was a malware app and shunted it off to the sandbox. I did try to tell Avast that it was ok but the damage was done and I spent the whole of yesterday trying to rectify what had been done to my system. In the end, through frustration I ended up re-installing Win 8.

On a happier note I have since re-installed both Office 2013 Pro and the 365 portion and it's working fine.. Without Avast I might add.

Oh well.. I guess lessons were learnt so it wasn't a totally wasted experience.. :)

Still haven't tried it. Seems all I do lately is procrastinate, so.....
I'll ask it here, have you had the opportunity to test Words alleged new ability to edit PDF documents? If so how have you found it to perform?

Well, I might have to try a reinstall. I read all over the net that it opens a PDF and converts it to a doc for editing, - not really what I want. I can open PDFs with three other third party programs on my Windows 8 OS, but with Word, I get this. I have examined all the options and they seem OK.

View attachment 391

OK. I've got it now! You have to select your PDF file (From the Windows explorer) and then right click for the drop down. There is a new entry "Convert to "Doc" file for editing with Word. Absolutely useless at this stage It took 5 minutes to open a full one page PDF.
Now I have to see how I get it back to a PDF - probably by "Save as" - but in what state will it be! I'll stick with Nitro for the time being

Thanks Dave for doing the heavy lifting.
Was wondering how sophisticated or rudimentary the process was. Always looking and hoping for something really good and utilitarian to come out of stuff like this. Guess I should have learned by now.
I have some PDF forms with text boxes that support input. Would have been nice to be able to edit say a text box label and have the rest of the formatting preserved after the edit.
Probably wishful thinking.

1. MS Office 2013 (code named Office 15) is the next generation of MS Office destine to replace MS Office 2010. This is for consumers and business or other institutions, as the usual w/ Office.
2. Office 365 - Basically a suite for Enterprise/SMBs of Cloud Services, including Exchange On-line, Share Point On-line & more. Office for corp in the Cloud. Here's a bunch of sites about it, Office 365 - Bing

I just started using Office 2013 yesterday. Naturally, I want more time w/ it. But, I do know there are features & abilities in it making a level of sophistication well above Office 2010. We have known, w/ some excitement & interest that this new version was coming for a long time. Also, we have been expecting it to be released around the same time as Windows8.

Office 365 has been around & looming, initially in beta for many months. @least last year we were discussing & learning it. Mainly, since it is one of the products that fall under the BPOS (Business Productivity On-line Services) offerings or Cloud Services. I happen to be aware of all this as I am BPOS Certified as a Microsoft Cloud Agent... just simply means I can sell the stuff. Office 365 is a terrific thing for SMBs, especially considering its price-point.

Other Cloud Services are things like InTune, Azure, MS Dynamics, CRM & slew of other products & services for commercial environments. And, now, Office 365.

I realise that many people may, already, be aware of the above info

Cheers,
Drew

Back