Windows 10 Is this a good prebuilt gaming desktop?

masdjgurhent

I am looking to buy a prebuilt desktop for 1080p 60fps gaming (e sports and "AAA"). I have found an Acer GX desktop for $1300 AUD ( ~ $1000 USD). The specifications are:

i7 7700
16 gb ddr4 ram
1 TB HDD
256 GB SSD
500 W Power supply
Gtx 1060 3 gb.

These are the best specs I can give. The part manufacturers aren't mentioned.

For the price, the CPU, RAM and SSD are good imo but obviously the 3gb gtx 1060 is a concern. I am aware that rx 480/580 or gtx 1060 6 gb would be better but I don't have that choice since its a prebuilt.

Would you guys still recommend getting this? I have seen better deals on prebuilts but they ship from US so import taxes make them not worth it. I can get this locally in australia so shipping is very small cost and no import taxes. Other desktops around this price range might have rx 480 or gtx 1060 6gb but they will have i5 6400 cpu, 8 gb ram and no ssd which seems like greater shortcomings than the gtx 1060 3gb imo. What is ur opinion?

Thanks.

It will do the job slightly.
Ask yourself these questions first:
1. Do you want to overclock it ? You need a i7 7700K if you do. Actually for Intel a cpu that has a K after the numbers.
2. Are you gonna have your games on the ssd and do you install a lot of games & software? 256GB ssd is low on space, 500GB's is better at a minimum.
3. Does it have a video card and which one if it does? Video card is mandatory for real newer games, not discrete onboard graphics.
Personally, I'd wait and shop around, as holiday sales are coming fast.

Other desktops around this price range might have rx 480 or gtx 1060 6gb but they will have i5 6400 cpu, 8 gb ram and no ssd which seems like greater shortcomings than the gtx 1060 3gb imo. What is ur opinion?
If you want to build in some future proofing then getting a graphics card with more vram is desirable. 3GB is about the absolute minimum especially if you want to play triple A titles at a reasonable resolution.

i5's are usually considered the gamers chip as it has no hyperthreading and is generally cheaper.

SSD's mean your system will boot fast but they aren't critical for better gaming.

You can game absolutely fine using 8GB of RAM.

If you want to build in some future proofing then getting a graphics card with more vram is desirable. 3GB is about the absolute minimum especially if you want to play triple A titles at a reasonable resolution.

i5's are usually considered the gamers chip as it has no hyperthreading and is generally cheaper.

SSD's mean your system will boot fast but they aren't critical for better gaming.

You can game absolutely fine using 8GB of RAM.

I know 8 GB RAM is fine for gaming now, but I doubt I will be upgrading anything within 5 years of getting the desktop and I would like to be able to do some multitasking (few chrome tabs open while gaming etc).

I am aware that the graphics card is most important factor for gaming performance but according to benchmarks I saw, under controlled conditions, an i7 7700 can give up to 20% more FPS in games compared to the i5 6400, so I figured i7 7700 was a nice to have.

ram is cheap and so is hdd and power... the thing you can't upgrade is the cpu so I'd stay with the i7 but 5 years is asking a lot of any game system

I am aware that the graphics card is most important factor for gaming performance but according to benchmarks I saw, under controlled conditions, an i7 7700 can give up to 20% more FPS in games compared to the i5 6400, so I figured i7 7700 was a nice to have.
It is but we are talking trade off here. Personally I'd save a bit longer and buy the system you want.

The way games are going, anything with 8 threads or more is now recommended even for gaming.

Hmm not many games around just yet that use 8 threads.

Apparently the sweet spot is 6 cores or so i was reading the other day..

In your opinion, how helpful will the 16 GB DDR4 RAM combined with nvidia's "memory compression" technology be in terms of mitigating issues caused by 3 GB VRAM?

Non at all. If you can get a gpu with 8gb of framebuffer that'd help way more. Even a 6gb 1060 would yield way better results.

It will help of course but it also depends on what resolution you'll be running at. Higher resolutions need more vram, if your running at 1080p then fine but as i said above that and you start needing more vram.

I have managed to find another prebuilt PC for $1350 AUD. It is an acer predator desktop. It has similar specs to the PC in my original post but instead of 1060 3gb it has rx 480 4gb and there is no SSD. Is this a better option?

Better as you can always add a SSD later.

Is an 8GB card out of your price range as that would really set you up?

Back
Top Bottom