Windows Vista Issue with SVCHOST after new install

dean132

I have just installed Windows 7 RC Ultimate version on a Dell D630 Laptop.

Eveything is running fine until I connect to a network. SVCHost.exe runs continuosly a 50%. I have used process explorer and the svchost causing the issue is running Windows Firewall, DEP and another service (cant remember now)

I cannot kill these and it says access denied inp process explorer.

Anyone have an ideas?

Hello and welcome,

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 .Go to Start > Run, and type eventvwr.exe and look over the application and Sytstenm logs for errorss or warnings and provide the EventID #
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Your exact make and model of nmotherboard would be of great help.

Also, was this a "clean" instyall, or an upgrade?

No, you cannot kill svchost...It provides services for your internet conmnection.

I've got the same problem, started yesterday.

I've been running Win 7 RC1 (x64) for 4 days on this pc, now SVCHost is maxing out on Logical CPU 2/2.

No idea what's causing it, but it seems to occur a few minutes after my pppoe internet connection is started. I'm sharing this connection, so I wonder if it could be related to ICS

I did an update, then gave up and did a clean install totally formatted my laptop. Problems seemed to correct themselves with the SVCHost issue, however I was getting validation errors when using IE8, (both builds) I then did antoher clean install and installed Ultimate N, this was the most stable of the options. with IE7, then SVCHost problem started happening again.

I have rebuilt my machine with XP Pro, our company uses Trend Worry Free Business which installs on machines when you log on to the network. This made my machine blue screen on startup continuosly, when I logged onto Safe Mode I could not uninstall the AV Client so I admitted defeat and will try again in a couple of months.

Also just to note, all devices were installed correctly, no yellow flags etc. Everything worked fine then after a couple of reboots SVCHost had issues.

i have this issue as well

mine is a new (x86) install
all devices found, no yellow flags
heaps of errors in event viewer (sorry but i cannot access this site while using windows 7) to put them here.
The problems with svchost and windows firewall etc seem to make IE8 crash all the time.
I have filled in the spec info for my pc
this pc is working fine using XP the way i am using it now.

Last edited:
What is the description for svchost in Task Manager that sucking all the memory?

Please read my first post and provide the necessary information.

My computer is custom built,
I have a xfx 750a sli board
4 gigs of corsair 1066 ddr2 memory
phenom 9500 2.30 ghz
gtx 260
and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

I also have this svchost problem involving my network, it seems to occur when certain programs try
to update (steam, windows, java)

Back