Windows Vista Jedi Knight Academy OpenGL Prob...

GUY_9000

When I try to start up Star Wars: Jedi Knight Academy, I keep on getting this,
JAmp: v1.0.1.0 win-x86 Oct 24 2003
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
*Shortened Length*
Academy\GameData\base\Des!re v2.0.pk3 (35 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\Darkforces Streets FINAL.pk3 (125 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\countryacademy.pk3 (68 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\casa_de_los_parias.pk3 (234 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\AvOduelmusic.pk3 (3 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData/base

----------------------
29695 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
...initializing QGL
succeeded
...setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
...using desktop display depth of 8
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 8, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 8, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

...And when I try to update my drivers... I get this:

INF Error, Video driver not found. Setup was not able to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA adapter before running setup.
...Help? :frown:

I get the same problem when trying to load jk2 under vista ?? GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Damn me too, anyone figured out if there is anything that can be done? I thought I'd break out Jedi Academy for another run but Vista seems to be dropping the hammer =0

I have the same issue. I have all of the latest ATI drivers installed and it still wont work

It's a driver issue most likely. My PC can play Quake 4 and similar OpenGL apps fine. Unfortunately, unlike Direct3D (uhh, wonder why) OpenGL isn't supported out-of-the-box.

I have the same issue. I have all of the latest ATI drivers installed and it still wont work

It's a driver issue most likely. My PC can play Quake 4 and similar OpenGL apps fine. Unfortunately, unlike Direct3D (uhh, wonder why) OpenGL isn't supported out-of-the-box.

I have the drivers that just recently came out from ATI.
What I don't understand is how a game that ran excellent with XP won't even work under vista. My computer IS FULLY CAPABLE to play JKA, but it seems to me that vista has dropped support for certain games/OpenGL. I know my computer can handle the game, but is there any way to make vista realize this?
Every thing I have tried has failed so I think it is up to Microsoft to figure this OpenGL thing out

Same

Yeah I head the samething. the opengl error but!! I update my nvidia card and now it does work. Only afer 5 min the game crashes. And dont try to patch anything, like Jk 1.01 or ja+ cause then you get the V_UI created failed error. Wich means you need to reinstall. And that doesnt work cause you crash after 5 min again

Conclusion

Microsoft or Lucasarts need to make a vista patch and pronto.

If you have a solution please email me

[email protected]

Jka

It loads on my laptop (which has vista) just fine, and i can play it, but it won't save the game past a certain point...and none of the cheats work...microsoft needs to figure it out!

i have vista and jk3 ran completely perfect...i got a virus and had to reformat, when i reinstalled my video drivers and jk3, it works but even though i have an 8800GTX 768mb it's extremely choppy and you can't even play the game...i have no idea...

Have you tried the latest 'hotfixes'? They improve graphics and Vram issues.
Get them here: Hotfixes

To those who get the ‘OpenGL’ error message, firstly update your graphics card driver, hopefully you should be able to play in single player mode if not try using the Windows compatibilty mode ‘Windows XP serivce pack 2′. This worked for me, although I still could not play in multiplayer mode. To be able to play in multiplayer mode, after updating the graphics driver, right click on the drive that has the JKA disk in and click on explore, then double click on autorun.exe (NOT JediAcademy.exe) and choose multiplayer from there. To make it easier for the next time you play, create a shortcut of autorun.exe to your desktop. You should now be able to play in multiplayer mode. This is what I had to do to get JKA working on my Vista run computer, I hope it works for others too.

If you have a 8800GTX 768mb then you shoulden't lag at all seening how the games minimum reg are 255mb ram or something and the Recommended is 512 MB ram...

believe it! i have a 8800 nvidea top of the line card.. and

i cant play jedi academy above 64 by 480 screen depth.. other wise its choppy as hell..

i sure wish microsoft would get its act together... now i have to go install it on my old xp based pc. and laboriously hook my monitor up to it..

that old comp is 3 years old but it runs it on 1200 by 1600 no prob..

if you have a fix for this please post it here!!!

thanx!

I don't understand. I have all the latest drivers for OpenGL up and running, the subsystem and everything, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Graphics atapter, and a ton of video memory, but even with all the ATI drivers, "Could not load OpenGL Subsystem". What does that mean?

i got this game and I've installed him about 1,000,000 times and it always comes GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem it sucks what should i do plz if you know what i should do then contact me on msn:[email protected]
:(

umm i have the same problem but i no how to get it to work on vista go to the file u play on right click and go to properties click the tab Compatibilty and click the first box "Run this program in compatibilty and Windows Xp Service pack 2" that should make it work if ur system check all out all passes so hope it helps

when u system check wat is the third on i fail on that one only

Back