Windows 10 Joysticks stopping system from entering power save

Please answer this poll only if 1 or more of the following responses apply

• I have a wired game controller plugged into a Win10 PC and it will not sleep

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have a wireless game controller plugged into a Win10 PC and it will not sleep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a wireless game controller plugged into a Win10 PC and it puts itself to sleep fine

• I have a wired game controller plugged into a Win10 PC and it puts itself to sleep fine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

virtual81

I have spent months trying to diagnose why a couple of my systems will not enter any power save states.

Late last year i narrowed it down to the fact that i have several game controllers plugged in.
When googling 'Windows 10 joystick sleep' i suddenly became aware i was not alone.

It seems now that joysticks are treated as mice / keyboards are in regards that any input from them re-sets the sleep timer.

The problem with a joystick however (and possibly some high end mice?) is that the high resolution analogue to digital converters tend to cause constant jitter, even when the device is not in use.

In simple speak, the joysticks send data to the computer even when not touched because they are very sensitive.

I personally have the following...
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Thrustmaster Warthog throttle
Saitek Pro-Flight combat rudder pedals

Unplugging all of these resolves the issue, but is impractical.

If Win10 were to revert back to Win8.1 or earlier behavior in regards to joysticks the problem would be solved.
Alternatively, if the input of the joystick had to cross a certain threshold before resetting the sleep timer that would work too.

Ultimately
we have an issue that effects thousands, possibly tens or hundreds of thousands of users.
Even more concerning is that these users might be like me last year, and not even know the cause of the issue, thus the extent of the issue is not able to be revealed by a google search.

I don't expect everyone with a game controller to suffer this, due to differences from one device to another.

Ultimately, what can be done about this?
Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone else with the same issue? I'll throw a poll in.

NOTE! - Issue does not apply to manually putting the computer to sleep.
This is for the computer to turn monitor off and then put itself to sleep after the designated inactivity time(s) has passed.

Open an elevated command prompt and type powercfg /requests if any of these do not say None then that is what is preventing sleep.

Back