Windows 7 Jump Lists Not Working

Dajad

None of my applications on the task bar are showing my jump lists on my main PC.

- Note: W7B on my laptop shows jump list without problems.
- I have re-installed W7B on a this system that had crashed completely.
- Originally I did an upgrade from Vista to W7B and jump lists worked fine
- However, after the crash I did a clean W7B install on top of a repaired RAID array.

Since the new install everything seems to be normal except for the lack of jump lists.

One thing I note, when I did the clean install there were a whole pile of desktop.ini files I deleted when I first started up.

Any ideas on how to reactivate jump lists? I like the idea a lot

...Dale

To troubleshoot and reactivate the Jump Lists feature on your main PC running Windows 7, you can try the following steps:

### Check Taskbar and Start Menu Properties:
1. Check Taskbar and Start Menu Properties:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select "Properties."
- In the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" window, go to the "Start Menu" tab.
- Ensure that the option "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu" is checked.
- Also, make sure that the option "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" is checked.

2. Check Group Policy Settings:
- Run gpedit.msc to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar.
- Check the policies related to jump lists and ensure they are not disabled.

3. Reset Jump Lists:
- Resetting the Jump Lists might help to resolve the issue. To do this, navigate to C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations.
- Delete all the files in these folders (you may need to show hidden files and folders to access AppData).

4. Check Desktop.ini Files:
- Deleting desktop.ini files could potentially affect the jump list feature. Make sure that you didn't delete any critical system-related desktop.ini files.

5. Restart Windows Explorer:
- Sometimes, a simple restart of Windows Explorer can resolve problems with taskbar features. To do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate Windows Explorer under the Processes tab, right-click on it, and choose "Restart."

6. Check Registry Settings:
- Caution: Modifying the registry can cause system issues if done incorrectly. Backup the registry before making any changes.
- Open the Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Start menu and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
- Look for a DWORD value called "EnableXamlJumpView" and ensure its value is set to 1.

After performing these steps, restart your computer to see if the Jump Lists feature is reactivated. If the issue persists, additional troubleshooting may be needed. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you notice any changes after trying these steps.

Back