Windows 7 Kernel-Power 41 (63)

ImmolatioN

I do realise there are posts already on this forum and many other forums, I have followed all the 'solutions' people have posted, I have not came across a person who said it has solved their problem, nor has any solved mine.

I am having the Critical error Kernel-Power 41 (63).

Critical 23/11/2009 8:10:37 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 23/11/2009 6:10:06 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 23/11/2009 11:02:48 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 22/11/2009 12:36:46 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 21/11/2009 11:48:06 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 21/11/2009 7:26:18 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 21/11/2009 1:51:11 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 21/11/2009 1:37:18 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 21/11/2009 1:23:53 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 23/11/2009 8:10:37 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Brent-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-24T04:10:37.217218800Z" />
<EventRecordID>5606</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Brent-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Every time I try to launch a game. I've noticed that people have this issue doing other tasks, some have it with transfering files, on itunes and simply just downloading music or surfing the net.

I assumed it was my power supply, I first ordered a OCZ GameXStream 850watt sli ready that was out of the box dead on arrival haha, so I returned it and took my 3 year old OCZ GameXSteam 750 watt sli ready my computer had no errors or warnings or critical errors at all for the first few days of running. these errors started on the 21st as you can see. For no reason what so ever. So I replaced my power supply with the OCZ Z Series 80+ Gold certified 1000Watt SLI Ready. My computer is still having the same error.

I've came across people saying to do things such as:

Updating Realtek driver (I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, it's just a sound driver although; I could be wrong.)

Updating the firmware on the HDD (I have the newest version)

Clearing CMOS (I've done that)

Checking the voltages running to the RAM and CPU and making sure they're default at the least (CPU is fine haven't checked ram so far)

Graphics card drivers out of date (I have the newest versions of the ATI Catalyst.)

Updating the Motherboard bios (I haven't checked that yet)..

These critical errors have just started 2 days ago, the tasks I was doing that causes them now, I was able to do perfectly fine before(playing video games such as left 4 dead 2, borderlands, audiosurf so far the only ones that have crashed my computer not so much as a crash but it freezes completely.) The thing that baffles me is that it just randomly started for no reason after the things I was doing were working perfectly fine before >.<

I have a brand new computer built last week, I'm not sure why this is happening!!

I'm running these specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit.
ASUS P7P55D-Deluxe Motherboard.
Intel i5 750 Processor.
OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel ram.
OCZ Z Series 80+ Gold Certified 1000Watt SLI Ready PSU.
XFX Radeon HD 5770 (crossfire XFX Radeon HD 5770).
1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12RPM 16MB(Super Speed enabled. ASUS P7P55D option in Drive Expert)
1 Western Digital 250GB 16MB 7200RPM (Ultra space, it's a ASUS P7P55D-Deluxe option when Drive Expert is enabled)
Logitech G15 keyboard.
Logitech MX518 mouse.
Logitech Z5500 speakers.
Samsung 22" LCD 2MS 10000:1 monitor.
Turtlebeach Ear Force-AK-R8

I'm pretty sure I have all the proper drivers installed I went to the websites and downloaded the windows 7-64 drivers.

If you need more information just let me know, such as voltages, or any other bios settings.(I have them all set to auto, default)

Thank you, all help will be greatly appreciated.
Brent.

ImmolationN, I have been having exactly the same problem as you, critical error Kernel-Power 41, (63). It started about a day after I installed Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit on 25th October. The system would crash randomly several times a day, usually with a black screen, but occasionally with a BSOD and a message saying something about a graphics problem. At first the machine would go to black screen and I would have to manually reboot; it later began to reboot itself automatically each time. I made sure my graphics driver was up to date but it didn't help, and I went through every post on every forum I could find, but couldn't find a solution. Eventually I looked carefully at every driver on the system and found that as well as my onboard sound device, which is described as 'High Definition Audio Device', there was also another similar device installed (although nothing was plugged into it), described as 'ATI High Definition Audio Device'. I tried disabling this, even though there were no reports of any conflicts, and surprisingly the crashes seemed to stop. This was about ten days ago now. Having said that, the problem did reappear last Wednesday after I installed the game 'Sims 2'. I had three crashes that evening, but since then it has been OK. At the weekendI updated my Catalyst driver to the one dated 4.11.09 and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am not very knowledgeable about computers and know next to nothing about what goes on 'under the hood' so I feel rather hesitant about mentioning this thing with the audio device drivers which may well be totally irrelevant. I thought it was worth risking making a fool of myself just to mention it anyway. Hope you get your problems sorted quickly.

My system is:

Asrock ALive SATA2 GLAN mobo
AMD64x2 6000
Radeon Sapphire 4670 512MB
2GB DDR2
Win 7 Home Premium 32 (retail)
Microsoft IntelliMouse
Microsoft keyboard

Hello Carol, thanks for your reply. I got a message on another forum saying to run MEMTEST86, I did that ran it for 15 passes and my ram came back completely clean, not a single error so that rules out ram..

I updated my realtek drivers(someone said to do that previously so i did that) still crashes
My HDDS' firmware is up to date (still crashes)

I have 3 audio deviced apparently..

ATI High Definition Audio Driver
ATI High Definition Audio Driver
VIA High Definition Audio

I did the windows update where it automatically tries to find updates for the drivers on those specific ones, comes back saying they're up to date.

I will try after I wake up later on as it's 2 am right now just getting home >.< haha, I will try later on today disabling one at a time, seeing what works if any.

Thank you for your reply again. I will keep you posted.

Brent.

********EDIT**********

I THINK CAROL MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!

I'm pretty sure there might be a discrepency between those 2 audio drivers trying to access the same information at the same time and causing an error, I just played borderlands since my last post(i got anxious and wanted to try it hahah) but before it used to crash at the loading screen of the game sometimes, sometimes within 2 seconds of gameplay, at the most I could get about 10 seconds of gameplay. I was able to play since I posted last till now not a single glitch error crash bump hiccup .. NOTHING I guess those 2 ATI's were fighting eachother because I did disable one and it worked perfectly. THANK YOU! I'm definitely going to help others with this and help them find solutions.

Everyone note this as a solution, worked for me, worked for carol. sticky this possibly?

Last edited:
I can't believe that something I said might have actually helped :) I'm absolutely delighted if that really is the solution, but I have to say that when I was getting my original crashes I was frequently just surfing using IE8 - no sounds were active, but this shows my ignorance as maybe that wouldn't have mattered. Also, don't forget, I did have the problem again immediately after installing The Sims 2, but it was fine after that. I wish I had kept a log because I may have forgotten to disable the ATI audio driver after updating the video driver, which automatically installed it again, which might have been the Sims problem. I have been updating and messing around so much with the wretched system that I have lost track. Anyway, the pesky driver is definitely disabled now, and all seems to be working ok, so fingers well and truly crossed. I do hope it was the fix you needed. I have to say, though, that I won't fully trust it until it has been crash free for two or three weeks.

Well I hope this is finally the solution to this issue, I agree I wont be satisfied untill it hasn't crashed for 2.. 3... weeks even a month. I don't understand how come it just suddenly started doing it after it was working fine for a few days after I didn't install anything at all.

We will see if this is indeed the solution :) Thanks again

Hmm, well I am afraid to say I had a crash again this afternoon. I was playing a game - a free version of Ultima Online. This has never crashed on me before, but today I suddenly had the black screen; I could hear the sounds going on in the background but the system was totally unresponsive, and it rebooted itself. It then carried on perfectly normally. This is an old game and that could be partly the reason why it crashed. I was playing in compatability mode for XP SP3. Maybe I have just been lucky with it up till now. I had my right mouse button pressed when I crashed, and I know the Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse wasn't originally compatible with Win 7, although a fix for it was applied. I'm clutching at straws - I just don't know why it happened.

I'm very sorry if I spoke too soon when I mentioned about the audio drivers, although it did seem like a fix at the time, and I hope today's episode was just a one off. I will be very interested to know how you get on and I really do hope your problems are solved. Meanwhile I will just continue to keep my fingers crossed.

I had the same problem too.

It came out of nowhere. While playing Borderlands sometimes the sound hang and stutter and the pic froze. I couldnt even press reset because nothing happened. I only could shut down by holding the power button. I had exactly the same message like you guys have.

Tried everything. The only thing helped my was to set all OC to default.

I haven't overclocked at all, all my bios are at default also. Sorry to hear you had another crash Carol >.< I feel for you :p, But I've been able to play l4d2 and borderlands perfectly fine whereas; before it would barely have even loaded the game, let alone play perfectly.

The strange thing is it didnt happen in all games. Mostly borderlands random or even torchlight. But never in EVE or CSS.

ok, so ive got this problem, but it doesnt seem to crash when im doing anything specific, more just whenever it feels like it. how do i disable one of the audio drivers? i looked in device manager, and i have a list of "High Definition Audio Device" and 5 "NVIDIA High Definition Audio". what do i disable?

I'm having kinda the same problem.
I'm, however, are not trying to run any game. The first time it happend I was using winzip trying to pack alot of data, so I thought it had run out of memory or something like that. This was yesterday. Since then I have had alot of crashes during my work with MATLAB, handling quite alot of data here as well. So stil I thought of some memory bug.

However, after reading this topic I have had multiple audio drivers and I always have spotify running so I'm gonna give it a chance. Hoping for the best..

EDIT!!
This changed nothing, had another crash 20 min after I inactivated the extra audio driver.

//Eskil

Last edited:
I had this first with Vista, thought it was on board video so I added a new card, no change. The computer would just freeze or hang, did not matter what I was doing, sometimes it was just sitting and I went to use it and it was hung. I have an Asus MB with AMD and two 500 GB drives. I did a clean install Win 7 Pro and still having the same freeze. Found that it was Kernel-Power 41. Saw that there were several with Asus MB in one of the posts having the problem so I upgraded the BIOS last Sat, still doing it. I have only one Audio listed and since I see that this has not been the problem for those that have disabled it I have left it alone. I now have seen the problem listed with all different kinds of computers with nothing common between them. Just the problem and Windows OS. I do not think that this is a hardware problem, could be wrong, but it sure sounds like it is in the OS and MS should be looking at it. I sometimes go days without a hang, other times it will hang every half hour for hours.

have any of you guys checked the firmware on your hard drives ?

are you running two audio devices ?

are there any conflicts showing in device manager ?

Kernel-Power

Had it happen on two different drives. Not sure how to update the firmware on a drive. Had never done a BIOS update until last Sat. One Audio and no conflicts. Had one conflict when Win 7 was installed due to onboard video and an added board, that was corrected. Every time I think I have an idea what it is and do something, it stops for a day or so and comes right back. I was considering a new computer, but starting seeing the vast list of different computers and configurations I gave that up for now. My only thought at this time with hardware would be the Power Supply, but without a definite reason I am not going to replace it.

Had it happen on two different drives. Not sure how to update the firmware on a drive. Had never done a BIOS update until last Sat. One Audio and no conflicts. Had one conflict when Win 7 was installed due to onboard video and an added board, that was corrected. Every time I think I have an idea what it is and do something, it stops for a day or so and comes right back. I was considering a new computer, but starting seeing the vast list of different computers and configurations I gave that up for now. My only thought at this time with hardware would be the Power Supply, but without a definite reason I am not going to replace it.

research your exact identifiers for your drive then check manufacturers for latest firmware and update utilities if necessary ?

Is you chipset fully up to date checked by going to your motherboard manufacturers website ?

Ickymay,
I'm just a computer user, not very technologically advanced. But this monitor thing is a real hassle. So far I've spent a lot of time trying to find a fix, including verifying that it is a kernal-power 41 problem which by itself if more about the computer than I really want to know. I've tried a lot of the different fixes people have suggested - changing power settings, updating graphics card etc. So before I figure out how to "research exact identifiers for my drive and motherboard", may I ask if you have tried these solutions and had them work? Or are they just possibles? Thanks for your help.

Ickymay,
I'm just a computer user, not very technologically advanced. But this monitor thing is a real hassle. So far I've spent a lot of time trying to find a fix, including verifying that it is a kernal-power 41 problem which by itself if more about the computer than I really want to know. I've tried a lot of the different fixes people have suggested - changing power settings, updating graphics card etc. So before I figure out how to "research exact identifiers for my drive and motherboard", may I ask if you have tried these solutions and had them work? Or are they just possibles? Thanks for your help.

just possibles for the "Kernel-Power 41" error :)

Kernal-power 41 error

Thanks Ickymay,
I did research what chipset and mother board my unit has:

chipset - intel 945G
motherboard - ASUS P5LP-LE, HP/Compaq motherboard name - Leonite-GL8E

I tried going to the ASUS website, but couldn't figure out how to find out if it was up to date or not.

Same with HP - they are not showing that they have updated any drivers for Win7 for this computer.

Any ideas on how to find out for sure?

Back
Top Bottom