Windows 7 Keyboard disabled & Icons not working

Dayn

Last night my computer was fine. This morning, the keyboard wouldn't work, so I tried 2 addition keyboards. ( a 2nd USB, and also a new PS-2 type), still didn't work. At that point I discovered none of my icons worked. When I click any icon, even in control panel, rather than taking me to that program, a window pops up, showing the path, target, etc. After a second or two, the path in the target window is erased, and .nvm replaces whatever text was in the target window.
I'm using the latest Trend Anti-virus, updated every time I turn on the computer, and scan twice a week. I've Googled .NVM, and searched the virus databases, but didn't come up with anything.
Any help, would be appreciated.
Dayn

Dayn :confused:

It could be worth uploading AVG anti-virus and scanning with that. I know you already have some protection but my thinking is that if one utility misses the virus another may pick it up? You could also try Adaware and see if that picks anything up..

Two Cents--- Non-Volatile Memory, Sun- Java There is something called a Swing Bug on SCIM, which stops the keyboard from working. But as far as I know- that's only for Ubuntu

Thanks for your reply. I scan every week with both Adaware and Spybot. I understand something could have slippen in just before this stated. I d/l'd AVG to a USB drive on my work laptop, but because I'm unable to use the keyboard or click any type of icons, I couldn' install it.
My computer only did 3 things. I checked the Google news site, checked my Gmail, and play World of Warcraft. I don't think the computer has been on any other sites in 6 months, except for the auto updating of Trend A/V, Adaware and Spybot.
My son, who is connected to our home network, d/l's music, programs, opens attachments from unknow emails, and if it blinks, flashes or promises anything, he's clicking it. I'm not trying to assign blame, just trying to get my computer back up, and running.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and see if you can get a keyboard to work then?
The more I read your post the more it sounds like virus activity especially with your sibling clicking on anything that moves.. I also tried googling for an answer but non was forthcoming. Try the above but if that doesn't work it might mean a reformat...

Back