Windows 10 Keyboard suddenly can't type anymore, only shortcuts

Skittluier

Hi all!

So my father and I are having the same problem with all our Windows 10 devices. The keyboard randomly just stops typing. However, shortcuts are possible like WIN + R, WIN + X, etc.

Does anyone know what's going on?

- Skittluier

Last edited:
Try running the inbuilt keyboard troubleshooter: settings > update&sec > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters

If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling the driver and reply if it still doesn’t work.

Edit: All windows 10 devices?

Are we talking about non-keyboards? What devices are causing issues?

Try running the inbuilt keyboard troubleshooter: settings > update&sec > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters

If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling the driver and reply if it still doesn’t work.

Edit: All windows 10 devices?

Are we talking about non-keyboards? What devices are causing issues?
Hey Meowkatt,

Thanks for your response! I will try what you've suggested whenever it happens again.

Yes, all the Windows 10 devices I and my father are using are having this issue. These are laptops as well as desktop PCs from totally different manufacturers.

Hey Meowkatt,

Thanks for your response! I will try what you've suggested whenever it happens again.

Yes, all the Windows 10 devices I and my father are using are having this issue. These are laptops as well as desktop PCs from totally different manufacturers.

What specific windows devices are these? All keyboards? Cameras etc? 🤷

I’m having a little trouble understanding you 🧐

So we have multiple devices, not all keyboards not working on two different systems? Or in the case that we are talking about one device being a keyboard but not working on two systems? In the latter event it’s possibly the keyboard, have a look at the individual manufacturers for the keyboards reboot sequence and see if that helps out any aswell.

Off the top of my head, unplug the keyboard for a bit. Hold esc. plug it back in.

In the event its multiple devices, can you provide info on what ones?

No problem btw, helping out you is a bit of troubleshooting practice for me :D

What specific windows devices are these? All keyboards? Cameras etc? 🤷

I’m having a little trouble understanding you 🧐

So we have multiple devices, not all keyboards not working on two different systems? Or in the case that we are talking about one device being a keyboard but not working on two systems? In the latter event it’s possibly the keyboard, have a look at the individual manufacturers for the keyboards reboot sequence and see if that helps out any aswell.

Off the top of my head, unplug the keyboard for a bit. Hold esc. plug it back in.

In the event its multiple devices, can you provide info on what ones?

No problem btw, helping out you is a bit of troubleshooting practice for me :D
All the systems only have 1 keyboard. No other USB devices are experiencing this problem. I've had it again btw.

One device is my desktop computer, which has a Gigabyte Technology Z370P D3 motherboard.
The other device is a MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro, which is a laptop. And my father's laptop is a Samsung NP355E7C.

I totally forgot to unplug & replug my keyboard! I did however remove the driver and restarted my computer. But then it will happen again in the future.

Anyway, next time I'll unplug, hold escape and plug it back in.

Back