Windows Vista Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 (1GB) unrecognized on Windows Vista

camkam

I have a Windows Vista V6317 Home Premium 32bit Notebook. I have a 2.0 Kingston Flash Drive and I want to be able to view its contents in My Computer.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z32/googlekit/preview.jpg USED to pop up when I inserted by USB flash drive. When I tried location and installing driver software, there was always an error and it never worked. Now, that pop-up doesn't pop up at all. Anyways, I tried emailing HP about it:
language : English
Country of Residence : Canada
product_name : Compaq Presario V6317CA Notebook PC
purchase month : -1
purchase year : 2007
problem area : hard drive/storage devices
serial number : CNF72133BT
operating system : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32
What type and brand of CD/DVD media do you use? : Light Scribe:Compaq Presario V6317CA Notebook PC
Was the CD/DVD writer drive built into the computer when you purchased it? : yes
error message : USB Flash Drive
problem description : A USB Flash Drive doesn't work. Then this pop ups :
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z32/googlekit/preview.jpg
Or, more specifically, the notebook needs to install driver software for the "Unknown Device". I've already tried Locating & Installing the driver software, but it has always been unsuccessful.
tech skill : Beginner

Basically, I said "A USB Flash Drive doesn't work. Then this pop ups :
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z32/googlekit/preview.jpg
Or, more specifically, the notebook needs to install driver software for the "Unknown Device". I've already tried Locating & Installing the driver software, but it has always been unsuccessful."

I got this as a reply:
Dear Cam,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
On reviewing your e-mail, I understand that the USB flash drive is not working on your Compaq Presario V6317CA Notebook, and there is an error message.
I realize the importance of the issue and assist you in a best possible way.
Cam, the issue might be due to the missing drivers or USB port. To isolate the issue, please perform the steps provided below,
To reinstall the USB port, you have to first uninstall the USB port and then reinstall it. Perform these steps to uninstall the USB port:
1. Save and close all programs that are currently running.
2. Click Start, select Shut Down, and choose Restart the computer.
3. Press the F8 function key or the Ctrl key when the HP logo appears. This will display the Windows Startup menu.
4. Select option 3 to load Windows in Safe mode.
5. After Windows loads in Safe mode, Type Device Manager in the Start Search box.
6. Click the Device Manager.
7. In the Device Manager Window, double-click the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
8. Right-click the device listed under Universal Serial Bus controller and select Uninstall.
9. Click OK to confirm the removal of the device.
NOTE: Repeat steps 8 and 9 until all the devices under Universal Serial Bus Controller are removed. The USB port is now uninstalled. Now, restart the system. The system will automatically detect and reinstall the USB port.

I tried all of the above, and no difference was made.

Further, download and install the Chipset drivers from the below URL:
== NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36079.exe
Installation Instructions
1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

I tried all of the above, and no difference was made

I also tried changing the driver letter and path in the Computer Management>Disk Management. Yes, the device WAS there. But I just can't view its contents in My Computer.
Link Removed due to 404 ErrorWhen I tried changing the driver letter and path, I got the following message:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
and I have tried all the suggestions, with no luck or change whatsoever.

A 0.5GB Flash Drive cannot also be recognized. All the flash drives work on my Windows XP, but not on Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.

What should I do to view the contests of my Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 (1GB) on my Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit?

Hmmm

Hmm, I'll try that once I get Mother to open the administrator account (I'm on Guest). Thank you very much. :)

Well, Kingston should be compatible with Vista. Maybe, you haven't done something alright. Possible the device is not working correctly. (I think the data traveler itself requires a driver)

Do you know what file system the drive is using? If it's using FAT32 then vista won't see it as it needs to be NTFS...
Let me know which one it's using as I'll be logging in later.. Thanks

Re: Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 (GB) unrecognized on Windows Vista

Hi!! There's the Kingston Website...Pick out your Data Traveler from the pictures with the descriptions. It will tell you how to use it, on what type O/S, the driver it uses, and how to install it. Link Removed - Invalid URL P.S.- If your Data Traveler is old it may not recognize Vista, the newer ones will say if they handle Vista.

How do you check what file system the flash drive is using?

And for the support, I don't know my "part number"

Kingston Data Travler
DTI/1GB
CH 092207 5v
04226-309.A00LF CHINA

If you can plug it into a friends machine thats still using XP then it should appear in the drives. If you then hover the cursor over the drive it should tell you. You could also right-click and choose properties of course...

Back