Laggy and slow behavior

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by bsdixon, Sep 2, 2009.

1. bsdixon

bsdixon New Member

I just installed Windows 7 x64 on my new Desktop machine:

Dell Precision 690
    - 2 X Intel Xeon CPU Dual Core 5050 3.0GHz 667FSB 4MB Cache
    - 2 X 2GB of PC-4200
    - 2 X 500GB 7200 RPM Hard drives
    - 1 X NVidia Quadro FX3400 256MB PCI-E

This machine is more than capable of running Windows 7, but I have noticed some unusual behavior. Initially when I installed Windows 7 I noticed that the drivers were all generic and weren't specific to my hardware. I took the liberty of making sure I had the fresh drivers as my performance was very choppy and laggy as I was downloading software. All drivers are the latest versions (including the chipset, BIOS and video card), but I still get this odd behavior in that the performance is extremely sluggish.

I ran the Index Score for my machine and the only that that was not between a 5.5-6 was the gaming performance. I was already aware that the card installed on my machine was not made to game, but I was not worried about that as the general desktop video settings performance scored above 5.

At this point I have spent several hours searching forums and other online resources to come to a conclusion as to why my machine (plenty of power) is running so bad. I have talked to friends running with far less setups than mine and they experience nothing like what I am talking about. I have tried disabling the Windows affects, but all that really seems to do is just hide the fact that the movement in the windows is choppy. I also went through and tried a few other video drivers, but to no avail I was not successful in curing the problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue or behavior similar to whats going on with my machine?

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

3. bsdixon

bsdixon New Member

Problem Solved

I decided to go out and buy a new video card since my one was getting such a low score in the gaming and 3D performance. That fixed the issue and I how have no problems at all. :)

4. kemical

Excellent!... What did you get?

5. bsdixon

bsdixon New Member

I got a Nvidia BFG GTX 285 OCX.

6. kemical

Lol...well that should stop the lag! Nice card man..