Windows 7 Laptop Keyboard Not Working

RichT

Hi Guys,

I just updated my sony vaio VGN-NR32M laptop to Windows 7 Professional from Vista and all was working fine... and then I go away for one night, come home, turn on my laptop and now the build in keyboard will not work and is completely unresponsive, not even the caps lock light will come on?

In device manager it says that it is working properly and I have tried uninstalling it and updating the drivers to no success. (Although Windows 7 does now seem to recognise my touchpad and keyboard as PS2 ones??)

The only thing I can think is that when I did a custom upgrade to Windows 7 it archived all my old windows files into a folder windows.old which I then decided to delete just before I went away as it was taking up half my harddrive and I thought the files were redundant... it got halfway through before I had to leave so I stopped the delete process and it also came up with a few notices that if I deleted certain files windows might break so I kept those... but now my keyboard has stopped working!

Can anyone help? I have a wireless keyboard which I can survive with for the time being but what's the point in having a laptop with a wireless keyboard!!

Thanks,

RichT

Hi Rich,
is it possible for you to do a clean install? We've had many posts similar to yours and a clean install is nearly always the fix..

I could do, I've backed up all the files that I want and have got the discs for my applications that I want to install, the only thing is I didn't have a windows 7 disc it was a download so I'm a little unsure how to go about doing a clean install and use the download file?

Do I just burn this to a disc or do I need to create a recovery disc?

I could do, I've backed up all the files that I want and have got the discs for my applications that I want to install, the only thing is I didn't have a windows 7 disc it was a download so I'm a little unsure how to go about doing a clean install and use the download file?

You have to make the Upgrade disk bootable. I explained how I did it in my last blog. There is more than one way.

I would FIRST check the drivers. Run device manager and see if it says they are working. Check the administrative logs under Event Viewer / custom and see if a problem is logged. Remember the drivers in Windows 7 were the ones that were available in July... a lot of hardware vendors were not up to speed then.

when you downloaded the file did you get an 'iso' file with it? if not, this tool will allow you to create one:

Free ISO Creator: create iso image file from your files and folders.

You'll then be able to mount it on disk and away you go...:D

Back