Windows 7 Leaks And Cracks

Joe S

Excellent Member
Anybody else find it amusing all of these people having anxiety attacks and begging trying to get the latest build then find some kind of crack or activator so it works forever? You don't have to be to bright to figure out that MS is turning a blind eye to all of these recent leaks and must have some way to kill them off when it suits them.
Joe

I really doubt that much of anything really leaks from MS. What gets out is likely to be intended to get out. And I suspect they have ways of dealing any anything that does get loose, so to speak.

Ed

I really doubt that much of anything really leaks from MS. What gets out is likely to be intended to get out. And I suspect they have ways of dealing any anything that does get loose, so to speak.

Ed

I agree completely.. Well put my friend.. ;)

Ed

Your right, we only see builds etc when they get passed on to partners and OEMs. Im not sure Microsoft wants to see this go on at all though.

If Microsoft had actually "cared" about all the leaks they would have put a stop to it.. ;) It's not rocket science, they knew the leaks were happening and they let it go.. That's not to say that they aren't going to "pull the plug" on these daily builds, I imagine they will sooner or later and if they don't then so be it. The people using them will eventually cave and get the GA, it's inevitable.. ;)

I think the leaks were a way for Microsoft to inadvertently obtain feedback from the "outside" and as an end result have a much more polished final version of the OS.. (and not to mention have a much larger following before the product even hits shelves then they did with Vista, or XP for that matter) :) But hey, that's just me..

They have control

I think that the "leaks" were deliberate leaks. When we activated our "leaks" with Microsoft supplied activation keys, we became monitored by Microsoft. As they progressed closer to RTM, they "leaked" only .VHD versions as a way to limit quantity and level of expertise of the users. They had complete control all along and all "leaks" were intended. (We ain't pulled nothin' over on Microsoft!)

The reality of the leaks is that M$ wants people to have it and get addicted to W7 so that they will move away from XP. We can try to guess all of the reasons but the bottom line is marketing. M$ couldn't have paid for the kind of word-of-mouth advertising that we all have provided for W7.

oneextraid: thats why they released the Beta and RC to the public. why would they do that and still intentionally leak other builds? they would either make them all available to the public or none.

and using M$ just makes you look like a jackass

The reality of the leaks is that M$ wants people to have it and get addicted to W7 so that they will move away from XP. We can try to guess all of the reasons but the bottom line is marketing. M$ couldn't have paid for the kind of word-of-mouth advertising that we all have provided for W7.

Exactly.. ;)

Using a daily/interim build is retarded in my opinion.. It's not even a finished build.. Obviously there will be problems in a daily build that aren't in a finished build such as 7100 (for example).. ;) That's why a good portion of the support questions for those builds were pointless to answer.. There is no point in critiquing or trying to "fix" a daily/interim build.. ;) Which is why those builds being leaked were nothing but good for Microsoft.. :)

It is certainly part of marketing, but I think more along the lines of unofficial beta testing rather than addiction. What they want is sales, regardless of XP or not. I suspect most XP users who upgrade will go the dual boot route anyway, so it wont really replace XP for some time.

Most public releases go to a wide audience. However most of the leaked builds end up in die hards hands, who may really beat on it. They have potential to see things others may not, and in turn, offer some insights on either how final code should be changed, or more importantly, marketed.

MS has been at this a very long time. Very little slips through their fingers, and if anything that mattered did, I think Ballmer would have their fingers cut off and sprinkled over his lunch salad... If you've ever seen this guy in action, behind the scenes, he is NOT someone you want to have a Saturday morning bad news meeting with.

Ed

Using a daily/interim build is retarded in my opinion.. It's not even a finished build.. Obviously there will be problems in a daily build that aren't in a finished build such as 7100 (for example).. ;) That's why a good portion of the support questions for those builds were pointless to answer.. There is no point in critiquing or trying to "fix" a daily/interim build.. ;) Which is why those builds being leaked were nothing but good for Microsoft.. :)

Im sure they followed a lot that goes on in the forums, and used all the information, but to me this is why they wouldnt want the public using these leaked builds. It only creates bad press. If you picked up the wrong build and it all went wrong for you, your probably not likely to try it again. The whole I will wait for the service pack idea.
Microsoft is huge, then it only gets bigger with partners and OEMs, Im not sure its they dont care they got leaked rather than there is no point trying to stop it.

As one who stepped into this thread later and read it through before posting i want to say that i've never seen such a collection of completely and utterly correct answers, almost everyone of them. Marketing tactics, research and development, even the thought that they could morally put whatever code they want in a build that they never intended to release.(maybe foremost to the more paranoid among us.) All these things add up to the fact that the best way to produce quality code is to physically beat the kinks out of it in a real world environment and the harshest environment available at that, And if you top that with the proverbial cherry of positive buzz around the tech community, you have a highly successful business plan. When you think about how good of an experience this was and continues to be for most of us, and that it seems like it will be the same for MS one sobering question comes to mind: Now that the profitable companies have discovered the many benefits of community support will this be a blow to linux/GNU and freeware in general we still have free and still designed the community model hopefully it will be enough.

As one who stepped into this thread later and read it through before posting i want to say that i've never seen such a collection of completely and utterly correct answers, almost everyone of them. Marketing tactics, research and development, even the thought that they could morally put whatever code they want in a build that they never intended to release.(maybe foremost to the more paranoid among us.) All these things add up to the fact that the best way to produce quality code is to physically beat the kinks out of it in a real world environment and the harshest environment available at that, And if you top that with the proverbial cherry of positive buzz around the tech community, you have a highly successful business plan. When you think about how good of an experience this was and continues to be for most of us, and that it seems like it will be the same for MS one sobering question comes to mind: Now that the profitable companies have discovered the many benefits of community support will this be a blow to linux/GNU and freeware in general we still have free and still designed the community model hopefully it will be enough.

Very well put! :) I'll give you some rep once it's up and running again.. ;)

Marketing !!

All of this discussion supports the position I have held for several years. Microsoft has some of the most incompetent, out of touch developers/programmers available anywhere, but has perhaps the strongest and smartest marketing department of any company in the world. Everything they do (including "leaks") is deliberate and approved by marketing; perhaps even decided by marketing. There are no actual information leaks without someone getting fired, followed by some kind of a cover-up. Surely everyone has noticed that there are skips in numbering between build "leaks". Only the good ones, or the ones they wanted to be tested by a larger group, were "leaked".

But if Im not mistaken, the RC was the only build that got leaked from someone internal, and that was only because there was so many fake torrents at the time, and that was always ment to get out anyways. The rest came from Technical Adoption Program (TAP) members, gold level partners or OEM's. Sure you could say they work for Microsoft, but there numbers must be huge. Microsoft couldnt stop it if they tried. There was a story a few builds back that one kids Dad got fired because the kid leaked some screen shots of a new build.
I dont know maybe they do it themselves, but Im not so sure they were keen to get the RTM leaked a couple of weeks before it was even announced. Thats their final product remember, free to download.

Back
Top Bottom