Linux and SAP

Lester

Honorable Member
Does anyone on here have any experience with getting SAP B1 working in Linux? It requires ZenApp or a similar client. To install this in Linux requires that you first install OpenMotif, a Unix utility. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. I've found OpenMotif, but haven't had any success in installing it. I'm assuming that I would need to use the Debian package. I've downloaded that but I'm not sure how to install it.

I've used Windows for years, but I'm fairly new to Linux. Most of the tutorials on this assume more knowledge than I've got in Linux.

cd directory
sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

There is the command to do it through command line. Open a terminal Window, by the way you say you are using Ubuntu, you have Gnome and it is called Terminal. Start off with

cd ()()()()

The ()()()() is what ever directory you have it saved in. Then type in the rest. It is a sudo command, so it will ask you for, I believe it is the root password. Then it should start doing its own thing. You can also use

apt-get install [package-name]
or
apt-get update [package-name]

Install is for new installs and update is to install again or a new version. You might have to put the version number at the end of that, I don't remember. Those two commands search online repositories that it knows of for the software and then downloads them and installs. I hope that helps you out.

Thanks. I managed to get SAP running without OpenMotif. But I should try it again, just to learn how to do it properly.

I enjoyed your trailer / signature. Great passage from a great book.

Lester

Cool, it never hurts to know how to do things in a few different ways. You never know, there might be a newer version since you installed it. Thank you, that passage is very meaningful to me in so many ways.

Thanks. I managed to get SAP running without OpenMotif. But I should try it again, just to learn how to do it properly.

I enjoyed your trailer / signature. Great passage from a great book.

Lester

Hey, Can you give me details about the Linux Version & Step-by-Step instruction how you got SAP B1 to run on Linux ?
i've SAP B1 8.1 and have been trying since 30-40 days on a trial-Server but with no success..

Please give me some guidelines on how you go it to run ?

Hey, Can you give me details about the Linux Version & Step-by-Step instruction how you got SAP B1 to run on Linux ?
i've SAP B1 8.1 and have been trying since 30-40 days on a trial-Server but with no success..

Please give me some guidelines on how you go it to run ?

SAP B1 is not supported on a Linux server. It needs Windows server. What I was working on was accessing it through Citrix from a Linux workstation, which is possible.

How did you manage to get SAP without going through an SAP business partner? Setting it up is part of the purchase price from them. It is also a major committment to use SAP, since it involves maintanence agreements and consulting fees for patches, etc. Your version of SAP will be unsupported within two years and you will need to upgrade.

It's a bit different from buying Simply Accounting.

Back
Top Bottom