Windows 7 Log in/ Log out times for Win7 RC1

EDL

Anyone else experiencing very slow log in and log out times in RC1? I just timed it and it takes 5 minutes and 27 seconds from the moment I click log off until it is at the log in screen again. Log on is slightly faster at 4 minutes and 19 seconds. Ugh.

The PC I am testing Win7 RC1 on is a Dell 4300 and it is on our domain here at work. When I firs tloaded Rc1 the log on and log off times weren't too bad, but now they are incredibly slow.

Anyone else experiencing very slow log in and log out times in RC1? I just timed it and it takes 5 minutes and 27 seconds from the moment I click log off until it is at the log in screen again. Log on is slightly faster at 4 minutes and 19 seconds. Ugh.

The PC I am testing Win7 RC1 on is a Dell 4300 and it is on our domain here at work. When I firs tloaded Rc1 the log on and log off times weren't too bad, but now they are incredibly slow.

I have noticed the slow-down that you describe with Windows 7 (beta and RC) as well as previous OSs. I have always attributed it to the fact that as you add applications and saved files, it just takes longer to get everything loaded up and then put away. Have you installed several applications and transferred a significant number of files to the new installation? I also notice that is takes a few seconds longer to open and close applications. I have always accepted this as normal. It is probably more noticable on borderline hardware such as I typically am using.

That is way too much time.

My Vista machine with 137 apps installed loads faster than that.

Do you recall installing some software that may have caused the slow down?

It could possibly be a domain issue also, as I'm pretty sure all the other clients are not Windows 7, correct?

Yes, loaded a few apps and things after install, but it didn't slow down right then, it was after a day or so (with no additional apps installed) that it just started slowing down.

Correct, We have no other Win7 clients on the network. DNS is configured correctly, etc etc. No errors or issues with the servers or the network.

Even logging on and off locally to the box when it is off the network takes just as long. Loggs don't show anything either.

Woops, I need a reading lesson

EDL, I just re-read your post and I have spoken "out-of-turn" with my reply. I failed to catch that you were asking about "login and logout" times and I was answering to "start-up and shut down times". I have not had occasion to "log on or off" a computer in over 10 years and therefore have no basis to offer any comment to you on that subject. Please accept my apology and ignore my other post here.

Was this a "clean" install?

Did you receive any Windows updates after installation and activation?

Go to Start > Run, type msconfig and let me know what's running.

Yes, loaded a few apps and things after install, but it didn't slow down right then, it was after a day or so (with no additional apps installed) that it just started slowing down.

Correct, We have no other Win7 clients on the network. DNS is configured correctly, etc etc. No errors or issues with the servers or the network.

Even logging on and off locally to the box when it is off the network takes just as long. Loggs don't show anything either.

Have you defraged the HDD since installing? ;) I usually run "Disk Cleanup" right after I have finished installing all my regularly used apps too and I find doing both those tasks does often help, especially on older rigs.. ;) Unfortunately your issue doesn't sound that simple though.. But it's worth a try.. :) If all your network settings are correct and you can see/interact with all the other pc's on the network then you definitely shouldn't be getting boot up times like that..

Pardon my ignorance but is the Win 7 comp the Server or a Client?

I have about 50 programs on a 1.6ghz intel atom netbook. The logoff-logon process is almost instant (less than 5 seconds at the most).

Back
Top Bottom