Windows 7 lost dvd reader

machanrahan

I have a Asus K52F portable computer. It works very well. Unfortunately, I've inadvertantly deleted my dvd software. I can no longer read any dvd or cd. It doesn't show on the window where I can see the /C/ and /D/ drives. I can hear it trying to work, but then it just stops.
As you can probably guess I know nothing about computers. Is there a way of retrieving the programme? I thought about doing a "restauration" (I can do that), but it happened months ago and I've only just realised why I've not been able to read any dvd (I was in China and thought it was a problem of dvd "regions".)
any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Hi machanrahan. Have you tried running sfc /scannow ? That should repair replace any corrupted / missing system files.

Hi machanrahan. Have you tried running sfc /scannow ? That should repair replace any corrupted / missing system files.

Hi elmer, thanks for the reply. I can't find a "sfc/scannow" on my computer. Are you sure I should have one?

My apologies!! You need to open an elevated command prompt and then type in (or copy paste) sfc /scannow and then hit Enter.

Instead of me typing a long explanation see this: Link Removed - Not Found over at My Digital Life.

My apologies!! You need to open an elevated command prompt and then type in (or copy paste) sfc /scannow and then hit Enter.

Instead of me typing a long explanation see this: Link Removed - Not Found over at My Digital Life.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate your help. Sorry, I'm so computer illiterate. I started letting my son do things on my computer and telephone when he was 12, and now ten years on I can't do anything!!!
parents be warned!
thanks again!

Managed it!! Problem is that the result says that the system has not found any problem ("no violation of integrity" it actually says). Would the restauration trick do it?

It may well do, depends on how old a restore point you are looking at.

Sorry again!! You're talking about a repair install from the disk, Yes? That'll do it, and leave your stuff / software untouched. You'll have a bit of updating to do. To speed that up you can always d/l an install disk with SP1 already installed.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Firstly try resetting the DMA settings incase PIO has been selected over DMA
click here

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

Reset the cd/dvd drives in Windows Explorer using the below tool from Doug Knox

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here
scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn.
click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Back
Top Bottom