Windows 10 Lost external USB monitor after W10 update of 10-01-2016...need help.

Pancho

Honorable Member
Lost external USB monitor after W10 update of 10-01-2016...need help.

Hello,
I use a duplicate portable USB monitor which is turned to face my clients so that they can see what is going on and understand what I am doing. I typically meet with my clients in their home, thus the portable USB monitor. It is an important part of my work, and it is essential.

Here is some relevant info on the W10 problem:

-64 bit system

-July 2016,: Did free upgrade from W7 to W10 Home. External monitor worked w/o a problem. as "duplicate" monitor.

-Oct. 1, 2016: Auto update resulted in losing the "duplicate" monitor option for my external monitor, AOC External USB Monitor model E1649Fwu. Display settings does not show the option "duplicate", only shows "extend".

-Note: A regular VGA interface monitor will function normally as a "duplicate" monitor,
but the USB monitor works only in the extend mode. I need the "duplicate" mode for the USB monitor.

-The Oct. 1 updates are:
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3194496) Microsoft Corporation 10/1/2016
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3176936) Microsoft Corporation 10/1/2016
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player Microsoft Corporation 10/1/2016
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3176937) Microsoft Corporation 10/1/2016
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3176935) Microsoft Corporation 10/1/2016

-Uninstalled the DisplayLink software, then ran DisplayLink Cleaner,
then re-installed the most recent DisplayLink driver version: 8.0.762.0 (Driver 8.0M2 29Aug2016)
The problem persists--no duplicate monitor option in Display Settings.

-Uninstalled the first of the Oct.1 updates, but my word processor lost its macro functions, and other software had other problems. A re-installation of the word processor did not repair its macro problems, so I updated and the first Oct.1 update was re-installed, then my word processor started working again. My idea was that I could remove the updates, then classify my internet connection as 'metered', so a to prevent updates. Obviously, this solution did not work.

I hope that a knowledgeable contributor to this forum can help me with the problem.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

the monitor is using a crap microsoft default driver that doesn't offer the options you want but there is one spot on the update chain which works for you?
if so,
build the system to that point then make a snapshot (backup image) and stop letting Microsoft control your updates...
  • disable updates from the task manager
Screenshot (237).png

• don't forget to turn off recovery or Microsoft will just turn it back on
Screenshot (238).png

@Norway: I haven't seen this particular fix before to disable windows updates. I'm curious however, I'm on v1607 b14393.222 with all the updates in on my desktop PC, but I don't see the Windows Update item in my Task Manager->Services running or stopped. I'll take a look at my other W10 machines and see if I see it there.

Pancho,
Hopefully you can give Norway's fix a try and see if it works for you. To date I've been unable to completely stop the new v1607 updates from coming in to any of my machines completely.:headache: I've been able to delay them, however. :) If Norway's fix doesn't do the trick, I completely agree with him about making backup images of your W10 machine once you get it built and working. If an update comes in, and you cannot completely stop them from doing so, you can at least restore your machine to where it's usable. Unfortunately, if you're not able to turn them off completely, they have been coming in weekly for the past 3 weeks; but nothing from Aug. 2nd to the end of September. That's 7 updates in 2 months. That means if you go this route, you'll have to reimage your computer about once every 2 weeks or less.o_O It would be a good idea to buy a 1TB or 2TB external drive to store these images on. I would keep at least 3 image backups, and you can schedule your image backup software to make scheduled backups to the external drive during night hours of 12AM-5AM to minimize performance impact while you are working.

Here are some other tricks we've seen and have been testing with regards to delaying or trying to stop the W10 updates from coming into your computer and scrambling it:
How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

That 2nd one WUDO, was working pretty well until the big push of v1607 updates started last month in September as I said. Disabling that function along with the 1st suggestion of preventing a driver update from scrambling your devices seems to be helping. One of the other volunteers here and I are only now testing this combination. And once you get your computer image backed up to external media you can try it also and let us know if you have any luck with it.

If Norway's fix does work for you, we'd appreciate a post back and letting us know that so we can further analyze it and share your result with our other forum users who are suffering a similar malady with these new AU updates.

Thanks!
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

the task manager is just an easy way to open the services tab... you will need an Admin accout to have this option
open.png

p.s, you can of course turn updates back on whenever some task requires it

Private laptop, one user, I am admin, log on as admin.
Used your procedure to select "disable" and "Take no action" on Win update.
There is much yakking on the net about how this is supposed to be impossible.
I only wish I had known of this before Msoft wrecked my monitors. (F-MS).
I thank you very much for this help.

I don't understand "...but there is one spot on the update chain which works for you?"
Are you talking about a restore point ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know how you got on... As the Bear mentioned it does help us to track how things work out

The update system has become a crap shoot since Microsoft sacked all their testers and each new build brakes as many things as it fixes ime

Last edited:
-July 2016,: Did free upgrade from W7 to W10 Home. External monitor worked w/o a problem. as "duplicate" monitor.
you still had some windows 7 drivers installed at this point... thats why it worked

-Note: A regular VGA interface monitor will function normally as a "duplicate" monitor,
but the USB monitor works only in the extend mode. I need the "duplicate" mode for the USB monitor.

Your options are;
put up with it,
get a new (with wx-driver) monitor... perhaps also a new system (with wx certified) motherboard to run it,
roll back the updates until your monitor works i.e, put the old driver back in charge.
wait for Microsoft to fix their drivers... how long could that take right?

Well, finally got it to work--have "duplicate" usb monitor.
I don't know why it's working, but it is.
Maybe this will be helpful to someone.
Here's what i did.

October 16, 2016
IT IS WORKING, though no display adapter for AOC usb monitor in device manager,
BUT THE SYSTEM IS WORKING, HAVE DUPLICATE DISPLAY ON AOC MONITOR, even though there is no display adapter for the AOC monitor Mod. #E1649Fwu, after installation of today, 10/16/2016. Tried 20+ in 10 days t0 correct the lack of a duplicate monitor. Still, don’t know why it’s working now, but here is what I did.
1. Disabled Windows Update (See ussnorway's helpful posting--#2 in this topic.)
2. Uninstalled all Displaylink software in Programs and Features.
3. Ran Displaylink cleaner, twice.
4. Installed DisplayLink Driver 7.7 M3 23 Dec 2014. This is an old W7 driver. The program ran, and after a minute got a prompt screen that said that this program does not work with my system. After this install, AOC monitor did NOT light up.
5. MAKE CERTAIN AOC MONITOR IS NOT CONNECTED TO LAPTOP.
6. Installed DisplayLink Driver 7.9 M7 03 May 2016. Program went through a multi-step installation. One of the steps was “First Connect”, so I connected the AOC monitor and the screens blinked off about 3 times. Note: In previous ten or twelve installations, the “First Connect” step did not cause any blinking, and seemed as though it did nothing.
7. After this the monitor worked correctly in Duplicate and Extended.
NOTE: Now, that the AOC monitor is working correctly, Device Mgr does not show any Display Adapter for the AOC monitor. Previously, when the AOC was not able to Duplicate, the Device Manager showed a Displaylink Adapter and Driver for the monitor.
8. DEVICE MANAGER:
Re.: AOC Monitor
When working correctly, has Duplicate Screen option.
Display Adapter: NONE. Strange, but when monitor is working correctly,
there is NO Adapter listed in Device Mgr for the monitor.
When not working - NO Duplicate display
Display Adapter is listed:
Driver Provider: DisplayLink
Driver Date: 8/17/2016
Driver Version: 8.0.762.0 (Driver 8.0M2 29Aug2016)
Digital Signer: Microsoft Window Hardware Compatibility Publisher
-------------------------
Re.: Toshiba Satellite L755-S5277
This info has stayed the same in Device Manger
Display Adapter: Intel® HD Graphics
Driver Provider: Intel Corporation
Driver Date: 5/27/2015
Driver Version: 9.17.10.429
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
--------------------------
Windows W10 Builds:
10/01/2016 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.222)
10/13/2016 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.321)

Last edited:
Back