Windows 7 Lost start menu choices and graphics in MSN

onewaydave

Lost start menu choices and graphics in MSN- Solved

Dell 630 with retail Windows 7 pro 64 fresh install. Everything seems OK except when I click the Start button the left panel of choices is blank white. If I click on All Programs everything lists like it should. What might this be due to?

And when I exit hotmail, the browser automatically goes to MSN.com. But now I have no graphics displayed. Just a quirky bunch of text that should have a graphic, image, or buttom associated. Like text instead of HTML. Any thoughts.

This fresh install replaced Win 7 RC 7100 which worked flawlessly.

I would relish any suggestions.

Last edited:
The most important problem of the two is the start menu. One thing I have changed since install on the Start menu is that I used a jpeg image for my account. So when I get the login menu and when I open the Start menu I have a pic that I chose to personalize my Win 7.
Could this be the problem?
No suggestions?
I would really appreciate some help 'cause about everybody here is better at this than I am:redface:. Thanks:D.

Bump 2

Ok, maybe nobody knows the answer/solution. I'll change the question. Anybody know how to get help with Windows 7?:confused:

Sorry I apologise also on behalf of other members. Seems odd that your post was missed.
Anyway. on my computer (64Bit) your start menu problem is the normal default.
It is also the default, when exiting Hotmail, to go to the MSN page. But the reason for your graphic falure is unknown to me.
What happens if you go to the MSN page direct. These are country specific.
eg. UK Hotmail, News, Sport, Music, Movies, Money, Cars, Shopping, Windows Live from MSN UK
US Just plain vanilla MSN.com

It occurs to be that, by some quirk in the default, yo are going to an MSN country speciific page which does not line up correctly with your setup??

Last edited:
RAK, thanks for your response. I'm used to closing hotmail and going directly to MSN.com, had that account for years. The difference with this install is the MSN page is lacking graphics. All the text is there but no graphics. The last time I typed in MSN.com in the browser from another site it correctly took me to the normal MSN.com page with all the graphics.

But still, if I click the start button in the lower right corner, the start menu shows;

left upper panel blank white
right panel with all the menu choices like my control panel, Libraries, etc. that I had in RC 7100
left lower panel has All Programs and shut down as would be expected.

If I then click on the show All Programs, the upper left panel shows all the programs as one would expect.

My RC 7100 build worked flawlessly. When I installed this retail Win 7 professional edition (fresh install with reformat and all, copied My Documents from the RC 7100, reinstalled all other programs fresh) these two things showed up.

I just assumed I had no reply because I had a problem nobody else had encountered and workd through. If you have any suggestions, I will be most appreciative. Dave.

Maybe this was a typo?
"But still, if I click the start button in the lower right corner, the start menu shows;" Mine is on the left?
Anyway - that is of no consequence. I think the problem here is that there is no problem??

I have enclosed two pictures of my normal default, in Windows 7 64 and 32Bit, Ultimate and pro.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of your RC1 Star menu.? I am not totally clear as to whether I am chasing the right problem. But if I understand corrctly, as I say, it is, I am afraid, the normal default.

What you can do, is go to each and every .exe in your Prigam Files folder, and "pin to Start menu" You will then get as in my third picture. (I only did one as an example)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, OneWayDave ! :)

Dell 630 with retail Windows 7 pro 64 fresh install. Everything seems OK except when I click the Start button the left panel of choices is blank white. If I click on All Programs everything lists like it should. What might this be due to?

The "Start button the left panel of choices" must be the area where you can pin your custom shortcuts, is this what you are talking about ? You can right-click on a shortcut and pin it to your start menu.

And when I exit hotmail, the browser automatically goes to MSN.com. But now I have no graphics displayed. Just a quirky bunch of text that should have a graphic, image, or buttom associated. Like text instead of HTML. Any thoughts.

This fresh install replaced Win 7 RC 7100 which worked flawlessly.

I would relish any suggestions.

It is the normal behavior for Microsoft Hotmail to automatically redirect to msn.com after log-out.

Hey Cybercore. Yeah I know about hotmail/MSN.com. But the screen I get has no graphics on it. No pictures, no links, just text in a totally different pattern than if I had directed it to MSN.com from whatchamacallit.com or whatever.

The upper left start menu used to have a shortcut to Word, Quickbooks, Picase and other programs. They have disappeared and a white blank box is there. Ah, do I need to reconfigure my start menu to now include the desired items? If so it should be as easy as your right click drag suggestion. I'll try it Tuesday when I get back to that computer.

Thanks for replying.

Thankyou, cybercore. I seem to have covered that in my previous posts. What the OP needs now is the reason for his msn site having no graphics!
By the way, onewaydave, there is no "dragging " involved in the operation to put the shortcuts on the white area. Just right click the .exe and you will see the option to "Pin to Start menu"

Last edited:
Ok. You got me going on this one.
I played around with MSN, by selecting the small "menu" caption and disabling items. I finished up with the pisture below.

But I think I may have the answer to your problem, assuming you have not done any customising on MSN.

Have you installed fLASH ? All of the pictures I played with were being activated by Flash.

Later. A last note. There is no Flash for IE8 or FireFox (minefield) 64 Bit yet, should you by chance be using either. You must continue to use the 32Bit browsers.

Last edited:
RAK and Cybercore thanks. Big problem of operator ignorance. I had not added any programs to the start menu and therefore had a blank menu. The issue of no graphics has solved itself by some magical cure and everything is working fine now. Sorry for the delayed thanks. I was out shoveling snow. Later. Dave.

Back
Top Bottom