Windows 7 Lots of BSOD's since building new PC, Various other issues.

Dhoom

My new gaming PC has been driving me crazy for the past two weeks I've had it. Since it's been built, it's given me windows update errors, blue screens, and everything in between. Last night it said Windows encountered a Critical Error, and crashed immediately. I've ran memtest on my ram and it came up clean, but I usually get PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, which I've heard points to ram. On a semi-related note, two of the ram slots on my motherboard don't work, giving me error 51 15 (Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H). In addition to that, the games I play sometimes crash and windows update has been giving me hell. Is there any way to solve this? I can upload the cbs logs soon, see if that finds anything

Hello and welcome to the forum.
It's a bit difficult to analyze or contribute to any diagnosis with practically no real detail.
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT can indicate an issue with memory but may also indicate a problem storage device. So.......
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then:
Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.
Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.

Additionally, if you haven’t already, please take some time and fill out your system specs in your forum profile area http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post235529 .

Again, if you haven’t done so already consider upgrading to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from here Download: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details after first taking advantage of the Update Readiness Tool.
UPDATE READINESS TOOL.
Download and install the correct system readiness tool prior to installing SP1.
System Update Readiness Tool for 32bit (x86)
System Update Readiness Tool for 64bit (x64)

And while waiting for a response regarding your issue some additional homework that you can perform yourself to move the diagnostic process along.

Check with your computer manufacturer or better yet your system board manufacturer and see if there is a BIOS update available, specific for your motherboard that may help in addressing system stability issues.

Check your hard disk for issues by using the native Disk Check Utility. Open an elevated command prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
and hit enter. Answer in the affirmative “Y” when prompted and reboot your computer. Allow it to complete all five stages which will likely take some time (bigger the drive, longer it takes) and check the results in the Event Viewer when complete.

Check your system memory for problems.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here.
Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Good luck
Randy

On a semi-related note, two of the ram slots on my motherboard don't work, giving me error 51 15 (Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H).
This concerns me and if it were me I think I would be considering an RMA from the vendor or manufacturer.

And in response to windows update SP1, I can't. It says DAta invalid with error 0x800700d.
This further concerns me and suggests possible data corruption, possibly a manifest or two.

You describe the machine as "My new gaming PC" and if I couldn't get memtest86+ to pass testing as described above (single stick in all slots) I don't think I would spend a lot of time trying to babysit a possibly bad MoBo that had potentially bad memory module slots. As further data corruption may continue.]
I would definitely followup with further memory tests as earlier described as well at least the native Disk Check utility and possibly even the vendor's own proprietary Disk Diagnostics (a list of some Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.) and if you are using your SanDisk Cruzer USB Device as a ReadyBoost device you may want to consider discontinuing that at least for the time being.
As far as a possible stop gap, immediate but possible temporary solution with respect to the OS and Sp1. I am wondering if you may be able to successfully;
1.) Backup any and all critical personal data, files and folders?
2.) Use an install media that already has SP1 integrated Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links
3.) To perform and inplace upgrade / repair install How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Additional Notes:
PROBLEM DEVICES:
Code:
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller    PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3432&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_03\4&1828E751&0&00E4    The drivers for this device are not installed.
SM Bus Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FB    The drivers for this device are not installed.
You may want to sort out those two devices.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

I'll try to install the new sp1 isos and then install any other updates to see if this problem goes away. And to clarify a little more on the ram, its Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb. According to CPUZ the ram is single channel, because whenever the ram is in dual channel the PC boots slightly and then shuts off soon after.I think some slots are defective, so I can RMA the mobo and replace it cuz of the warranty, so that isn't an issue. I'll post back when things get sorted out. Thanks!

Back again. Okay, so I reformatted my PC a few more times, and at first no issues were detected. I installed main drivers and everything, and windows 7 sp1 installed perfectly. However, I've still had two bluescreens, one of which relates to Page fault in nonpaged area and IRQL not less or equal. I'm getting desperate, and have no idea how to fix any of these. Here's the updated PC information with current drivers, perhaps one or two are conflicting?

View attachment Seven Forums NEW.zip

Go into your BIOS and enable XMP mode for your memory modules and see if that helps at all.
And do me a favor and uninstall Avast completely for now and please replace it temporarily with MSE from here Link Removed due to 404 Error
Thanks and Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

MSE is installed, and I'll enable XMP in bios right now. I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Avast removed, XMP enabled. The ram is in the furthest slots from the CPU, will report back if BSOD occurs again.

Last edited:
The ram is in the furthest slots from the CPU
If Blue Screens persists, double check page 16 of your Motherboard manual section 1-4-1 Dual Channel Memory Configuration.
It seems to me to be a bit contradictory and counter intuitive but failing everything else it might be worth "reading the directions", although I don't necessarily subscribe to that myself.
I've attached an image of the page from your manual

I shall try that, and report back if anything happens! Thank you very much Trouble, you're a lifesaver!

Well, it worked flawlessly for a few hopurs last night, but this morning it gave me PFN list corrupt again with ntsokrnl once again. I might just replace the RAM when I get a chance, as it seems to be the source of everything.

Refresh my memory. Did you test your hard drive(s) for errors using both the native Check Disk utility as well as one that is vendor specific from your hard drive manufacturer?
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.
And a list of some HD mfg's Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Did you use memtest86+ to test your memory with all conceivable configurations. Especially in light of your earlier statement regarding the module slots on your MoBo, I would suspect that the problem might be with the memory bus even more so than with the memory itself, although that too may have been damaged possibly.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
Not that I wouldn't want you to get some new RAM, I just don't want to see you waste money and end up back in the same place.
You may also want to consider testing your rig with only a single stick of memory at a time just to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Back