Low Defragmentation Doesnt Equal Visual

blksith0

Extraordinary Member
Can anyone explain how this disk is only 1% fragmented? Just look at all that red. It doesn't add up.

There's really no need to purchase defrag programs, the built in Windows one is just fine.

What version of Windows was this run under?

I'd suggest you take a look at the free defraggler from piriform.com AND see if you get the same result. If so, you might have a faulty hdd, and need to perform hardware testing, as if hdd has failed it could be mis-reporting.

Try testing as here: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

I disagree about using defrag programs with Josephur, as using free or paid programs such as defraggler or spinrite can and do make a difference in both boot-time and general computing performance such as the time it takes to load pages on your browser on the Internet. I've spent years benchmarking hard drives and worked for 4 hard drive manufacturers. These programs can reduce the amount of time it takes your computer to boot by seconds even minutes, and that's worth doing in my opinion. BTW, this is also true for even the latest W10 AU versions too.

P.S. You can also try to backup all your personal data files to external media on your existing hdd, and doing a low-level format using a tool such as DBAN, and reinstalling your Windows (not all the programs). Re-run your defrag programs and see if it reports correctly. It could be that you installed your defrag program incorrectly (did you remember to disable your AV program prior to installing it?), or it got corrupted somehow. You didn't mention whether or not you uninstalled/reinstalled your defrag program itself or not. That's why I suggested you try defgraggler, which is free and if it reports correctly, the above scenario is quite likely to have been the root cause of your problem. If however, defraggler also reports exactly the same way, then it's time to break out your work overalls and test that hard drive, as it's quite likely to have failed and that's why your defrag program appears to be mis-reporting; and of course time to replace it with a new Drive! ;)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom