Low resolution on monitor, weird usb c behaviour

triplemaya

Windows 10 pro.
Laptop has a decent Nvidia graphics and a 4k screen. But when I connect to an external monitor it struggles to do 2k, and only gives 30 refresh, jerk jerk jerk!
It works perfectly on Linux
It came with a windows default driver. So I have downloaded the Nvidia program and installed the correct driver. No change.
I tried the usb c port. The laptop screen goes dark, and the monitor does not work. The monitor switches on and off as if the laptop is trying to display. When I unplug the laptop screen stays dark and will not wake up. I have to power it off manually and restart.
I reinstalled windows but this made no change.
Help!

It seems like you are experiencing several issues with your Windows 10 Pro laptop when connecting to an external monitor and using the USB-C port. I can suggest some troubleshooting steps that may help resolve these problems:

1. Display Resolution Issue:
- Right-click on the Windows desktop and select "Display settings."
- Under the "Display resolution" section, make sure you have selected the desired resolution for your external monitor.
- If the correct resolution is not available, click on "Advanced display settings" and then "Display adapter properties" to verify that the monitor supports the desired resolution. You may also need to update the graphics driver.

2. Refresh Rate Issue:
- In the "Display settings" window, scroll down to the "Advanced display settings" section.
- Click on "Display adapter properties for display X" (replace X with the correct number if you have multiple monitors).
- Select the "Monitor" tab and check if the correct refresh rate is set. If not, click on the drop-down menu and select a higher refresh rate if your monitor supports it.

3. USB-C Port Issue:
- Ensure that the USB-C cable you are using is compatible with both your laptop and the external monitor.
- Check if your laptop's USB-C port supports video output. Some USB-C ports only support charging or data transfer.
- Go to the manufacturer's website of your laptop and install the latest drivers for USB as well as the graphics card.

4. Graphics Driver Issue:
- Download the latest Nvidia graphics driver from the official Nvidia website.
- Completely uninstall the current graphics driver from your laptop. You can do this through the "Device Manager" by expanding the "Display adapters" section, right-clicking on the Nvidia graphics card, and selecting "Uninstall device."
- Restart your laptop and install the downloaded Nvidia graphics driver.

If the above steps do not resolve the issues, you might consider contacting the manufacturer's support or visiting a professional technician who can inspect your hardware for any malfunctions. Additionally, you mentioned that the issue does not occur on Linux. This could indicate a compatibility or driver-related problem with Windows 10. In such cases, reaching out to Microsoft's support team for further assistance might be helpful.

In response to chat gpt:
When I connect with hdmi cable, none of the settings for the monitor appear. Everything is greyed out.
I did what it suggested and installed the driver again, this time with a restart.
But now a new problem. After trying the usb c cable the behaviour has changed. Now when connecting with hdmi the monitor is dark, while the laptop screen is on extended. So I cannot get to the display settings. I can bring up the window, but it comes up on the dark monitor screen!
And if I have the monitor on a different input setting, the laptop still does the behaviour when I plug in the hdmi cable.

more info
nvidia Quaddro M1000M
Drivers tried:
nvidia Quaddro M1000M Version 31.0.15.2908
nvidia Quaddro M1000M Version 31.0.15.4601

Slight improvement in that the laptop screen now comes back to life when usb c is unplugged!

As Chat gpt says since linux works fine this more or less has to be a driver issue. But having got Nvidia to download the correct driver I am a bit stuck as to what to try next.

Last edited:
Let's try to identify the root cause and address the issues you're facing with the external monitor on Windows 10. Here are some additional steps you can take:
  • Ensure that you have the latest Nvidia graphics drivers installed. You can download the latest drivers from the Nvidia website.
  • After installing the latest Nvidia drivers, open the Nvidia Control Panel, and check the display settings to make sure they are configured correctly for your external monitor.

Try to Adjust Display Settings:

• Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings."
  • Make sure the external monitor is detected and set as the primary display.
  • Adjust the resolution and refresh rate to the native settings of your external monitor. Ensure that it is set to 60Hz or the maximum supported refresh rate.

Thanks. I have gone through that at least 5 times! The system will not show the resolution on the settings page. They are all greyed out. Something weird seems to be going on with the drivers as it works perfectly on linux.

Back