Macrium and windows

Fenway16

The following is from the Macrium knowledge base: "Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows."
I have created a backup on my HP Pocket external drive - usb connection - from reading the above, looks like it is a worthless effort.
And then another mystery - at least for me it is, "If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port" -- Don't get this at all.

So, is it true - I cannot connect my pocket drive via usb connection and backup or restore? Does anyone have a clue about this? Thanks.

Fenway16

As an addendum to this post, I came here for possible answers -- as apparently in order to post on the Macrium forum you must own a copy - not a free copy. Since this is a window issue as described above, seems there may be answers forthcoming. Thank you.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
There should be answers. Perhaps your post slipped through the net.
Anyway, for what it is worth. I have no definite answer to yor question, except that it is not a true statement from Macrium.
I use , for my backups, an Acronis USB plug or, as an alternative, a similar plug made with Macrium.
Both will autoboot, if I have them selected in the Bios. My preferred method, though, is to invoke the sub start up menu, available in most machines. The method can vary slightly as:
Start the computer and press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10 during the initial startup . In fact, on my Dells, it is F12. You can then select the boot device of your choice.

Last edited:

Fenway16

Thanks very much for your post. I did wonder why it was answered - I went to another windows forum and it was answered there. This forum is usually responsive - apparently usb's are fine to use. It is only when you are cloning the system that usb's don't work -- when imaging it's ok. Sort of confusing on Macrium's part-for me anyway. Thanks again.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.