Windows 10: can't update KB5034763

PthDe

New member here, first post. Would like some help/advice with the above.

The update downloads, and installs to the restart required.
Restart first displays the "working on updates" blue-screen, but at 6% progress, commences to close and reboot. (Normally this reaches the 30% progress point??)

Windows reboots normal, but a blue-screen reports the update "could not complete and is being removed". Windows returns and runs. Tried this at least three times.

Tried troubleshooting-updates, took some 15-20 minutes (SSD-drive). Found problems. (See PDF attached). Again attempted install but failed as before.

My use and knowledge of Windows is very low. I use Linux (Manjaro).

n.b. Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on external-SSD 512Gb (non-GPT) via via SATA III umbelical to a cast-iron ThinkPad T420.

Some help would be deeply appreciated.

PS. In an urgent repair to a friend's Windows system with a drive-loss, I supplied him my original ext-Windows SSD to restore his system on it. My Windows image had been cloned/imaged (Linux dd-command) and appears to be fully, reliably returned. There seems to be no data/system-file loss or corruption.

Attachments

• Troubleshoot_Update_KB5034763_Error_0x80070003.pdf
    338.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I see that you've encountered an issue while updating to Windows 10 KB5034763, and I'm here to help you. Here are some steps you may try:

1. **Temporarily disable your antivirus software :** Antivirus software could sometimes interfere with the process of updating. You could try temporarily disabling it, perform the update and then re-enable it again.

2. **Use the Windows 10 Update Assistant :** You could also attempt to install the update via the Windows 10 Update Assistant, which can be downloaded from Microsoft's website. This tool can help you in applying the latest updates.

3. **Update using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool :** With this approach, you'd have to create a bootable media using the tool which can be downloaded from Microsoft's website. With the media created, you can use it to update your Windows.

4. **Use Windows Troubleshooter :** Navigate to **Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters > Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.** The Troubleshooter can find and fix problems with Windows Update.

5. **Manually Reset the Windows Update Components :** Here is a **general guidance on how to do it :**

- Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a Command Prompt(CMD). You need to press ENTER after you type each command.
```
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
```

- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this with the following commands in the CMD.
```
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
```

- Now, let's restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Typing the following commands in the CMD.
```
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
```

I hope these solutions are helpful to you.
Please remember to backup all your important data before doing anything significant, as it could potentially lead to data loss. Do get back to us in case you face any challenges. Good luck!

mystery solved... you need internal drives for booting Windows updates
Many thanks! (Sorry for late reply)

I had a quick response from Chat GPT, which I tried following... and found myself up some garden path somewhere.
A change of plan has alleviated further work on this and now indeed solved.

Back
Top Bottom