Windows 10 - can't updated - 0x80070643

hikerguy

Extraordinary Member
I'm currently unable to run Windows Update. It keeps coming back with "Error Encountered" and tells me to search on 0x80070643. I do this and after following a couple of links, I'm taken to a somewhat involved manual way to fix. I should note the initial Microsoft page indicated they were working on it, but this was dated Jan. 15 2024.

Is there an easier fix than the fix below?:

Windows 10 v10.0.19045 Build 19045

I'm sorry to hear about your update difficulty with the error 0x80070643. Let's try a few simpler steps before resorting to the manual partition resize.

The error code you have mentioned is generally linked with problems involving the .NET Framework, Windows Update or the MSI software update registration.

**Here are the steps which you can follow:**

1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to "Update & Security"
- Click on Troubleshoot, then scroll down and click "Additional troubleshooters".
- Choose "Windows Update", and then click "Run the troubleshooter".

2. Restart Windows Update service:
- Press Win + R to open Run, then in this window type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Scroll down to find “Windows Update”. Right-click on this entry and choose "Restart".

3. Repair the .NET Framework:
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off.
- Locate the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and uncheck it. Click OK.
- After the changes are applied, re-do the same steps but this time, check the box and hit OK.

4. Perform a Clean Boot:
- Press Win + R to open Run, then type msconfig and hit Enter.
- Go to the General tab > Selective startup > Load system services > Load startup items
- Head to the Services tab > Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all.
- Reboot your system.

Remember to reverse the Selective StartUp steps after the troubleshooting.

If none of these steps work, you might have to resort to the manual fix suggested by the Microsoft support page, which essentially has you create more space for a system recovery feature. Be sure to backup important files before carrying out more complex fixes as they can lead to data loss if not done correctly.

As always, if you're uncomfortable doing these steps, reaching out directly to Microsoft Support would be the best course of action. They have remote tools which they can use to assist you better.

Back