Windows 10 Macrium and windows

Fenway16

Honorable Member
The following is from the Macrium knowledge base: "Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows."
I have created a backup on my HP Pocket external drive - usb connection - from reading the above, looks like it is a worthless effort.
And then another mystery - at least for me it is, "If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port" -- Don't get this at all.

So, is it true - I cannot connect my pocket drive via usb connection and backup or restore? Does anyone have a clue about this? Thanks.

As an addendum to this post, I came here for possible answers -- as apparently in order to post on the Macrium forum you must own a copy - not a free copy. Since this is a window issue as described above, seems there may be answers forthcoming. Thank you.

There should be answers. Perhaps your post slipped through the net.
Anyway, for what it is worth. I have no definite answer to yor question, except that it is not a true statement from Macrium.
I use , for my backups, an Acronis USB plug or, as an alternative, a similar plug made with Macrium.
Both will autoboot, if I have them selected in the Bios. My preferred method, though, is to invoke the sub start up menu, available in most machines. The method can vary slightly as:
Start the computer and press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10 during the initial startup . In fact, on my Dells, it is F12. You can then select the boot device of your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your post. I did wonder why it was answered - I went to another windows forum and it was answered there. This forum is usually responsive - apparently usb's are fine to use. It is only when you are cloning the system that usb's don't work -- when imaging it's ok. Sort of confusing on Macrium's part-for me anyway. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom