Windows 7 Major Promblem after partitioning hard drive

saph

Just recently i decided to partition about half of my hard drive so I could re-install windows vista to it so i could boot off of that when needed. All seemed to be going well, until just a bit ago. I Managed to partition 100gigs to dedicate to my windows vista files on the computer, but before i even had the chance to install to the new drive i started having problems with the explorer. When I try to access my C drive, the default drive which I partitioned from, I cannot. The window just shows the loading bar up top but never reaches the end, and the window becomes unresponsive. The strange thing is that i can access all my other folders on the C drive though shortcuts and other means, but not by going though "My Computer".

I am also having software issues, and many programs will not load or function when i try to open them, including my virus scanner. The partitioned drive works fine, but the disk management tool will not load when I try to start it and just says "Connecting to virtual Disk Service...", so I cannot delete the newly created partition and extend the volume back into the original drive.

Please help, my computer is just about useless because of this and I have resulted to using my laptop for everything.

EDIT: I also am forced to manually shut down the computer each time, I even have all the same problems while in safe mode.

Last edited:
Sounds like you hosed some of your files on your main partition when you resized it. You may end up reinstalling everything from scratch.

Resizing your OS partition has got to be one of the most dangerous and problematic things you can do. Personally, I wonder at the wisdom of even having the option to do that.

Did you defrag the drive before the resize, or just go cold turkey?

Sounds like you hosed some of your files on your main partition when you resized it. You may end up reinstalling everything from scratch.

Resizing your OS partition has got to be one of the most dangerous and problematic things you can do. Personally, I wonder at the wisdom of even having the option to do that.

Did you defrag the drive before the resize, or just go cold turkey?

Just did a disk clean up after removing a bunch of files. That is about it.
I will try to reinstall W7 with the CD. Not sure if i will lose everything on my hard drive though or not.
thank you.

A clean up does not move files to the front of the partition, it just deletes certain files.

Sounds like you need to put a little more thought into what you are doing, before you commit.

if u need to resize a partition i recommend gparted. it will boot to its own os so that you can modify any partition on any hard drive.

Back