Windows 7 Make your Bluetooth devices work on Windows 7

rajivsinghsuwal

Here's what you need to do for both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 systems:

- Download the 'Windows Mobile Device Center' ( current version is 6.1 ) which you can download it from Link Removed due to 404 Error ,this works for both Vista and Windows 7. I've tried it on both.

- Install the downloaded software but it may not look like it worked on Windows 7 PCs. Vista automatically configures the settings on the bluetooth devices but for those who have Windows 7, here are the things you should do:

- Go to 'Device Manager' from 'Control Panel' -Or- just right-click on Computer Icon and choose 'Properties' and then click on 'Device Manager'.

- You'll see an 'Unknown Device' named 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device'

- Right-Click it and click on "Update Driver Software" -Or- anyway you find it easy to bring up the Update driver window.

- Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button.

- Click "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer".

- Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft.

- From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name "Windows Mobile-Based Device Support" with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.

- Ignore any warnings and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed.

Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in 'Device Manager' when you click on 'Bluetooth Radios', it should display one more item which will say 'Windows Mobile-based device support'.

There are few more things that you want to pay attention to. If you have already added the device in your 'bluetooth device list' that didn't work, then remove the device and add it again. After you add it, you might need to restart the computer if it gave you a connection problem error message.

Every PCs that had Windows 7 and Vista worked after installing this software and I hope it will work for you too.

Rajiv Singh Suwal
This is also available here in detail

Last edited:
Here's what you need to do for both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 systems:

- Download the 'Windows Mobile Device Center' ( current version is 6.1 ) which you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/device-center-download.mspx ,this works for both Vista and Windows 7. I've tried it on both.

- Install the downloaded software but it may not look like it worked on Windows 7 PCs. Vista automatically configures the settings on the bluetooth devices but for those who have Windows 7, here are the things you should do:

- Go to 'Device Manager' from 'Control Panel' -Or- just right-click on Computer Icon and choose 'Properties' and then click on 'Device Manager'.

- You'll see an 'Unknown Device' named 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device'

- Right-Click it and click on \"Update Driver Software\" -Or- anyway you find it easy to bring up the Update driver window.

- Click \"Browse My Computer for Driver Software\" button.

- Click \"Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer\".

- Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft.

- From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name \"Windows Mobile-Based Device Support\" with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.

- Ignore any warnings and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed.

Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in 'Device Manager' when you click on 'Bluetooth Radios', it should display one more item which will say 'Windows Mobile-based device support'.

There are few more things that you want to pay attention to. If you have already added the device in your 'bluetooth device list' that didn't work, then remove the device and add it again. After you add it, you might need to restart the computer if it gave you a connection problem error message.

Every PCs that had Windows 7 and Vista worked after installing this software and I hope it will work for you too.

Rajiv Singh Suwal
Computer Engineer / Senior Software Architect
I was under the impression that WINDOWS Mobile Device Center was only used for connecting to, and syncing with mobile phones.

If I were to follow the above instructions, would I be able to stream internet radio, via Bluetooth, to a Motorola DC800 Bluetooth Stereo Gateway Adapter? (This is what I had always done in the past.

What happened between Windows VISTA & Windows 7 in regard to Bluetooth audio support?

This is a major issue, that I feel should be discussed with MICROSOFT.

I have "upgraded" both my machines at home from VISTA HOME PREMIUM, to Win 7 HOME PREMIUM. After the upgrades, I lost all Bluetooth audio support. Many searches through numerous forums, had no real answer.

My machines had been set up to stream Pandora Radio from the computer to a Bluetooth receiver attached to my home stereo. This was a beautiful thing. All I had to do, was right click the speaker Icon, and select Bluetooth Audio as the default source, and I was good to go.

This is a major disappointment to me, that I feel requires a fix.

Sorry, but I also forgot to ask:

After following this procedure, will Bluetooth Advanced Audio appear as one of the options, under sound, in "Playback Devices"

That sound option was lost in Windows 7.

Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide.

Lloyd

A load of thanks

Thanks, Rajiv. After following the instruction, I was able to use my headset with my laptop. Before it paired with the laptop but the driver was missing for the headset service.

If you have used ActiveSync in the past, you would certainly love this package. Actually 'Windows Mobile Device Center' is the successor to ActiveSync. It is designed to synchronize various content including music, video, contacts, calendar events, web browser favorites, and other files between Mobile devices and the Windows operating system.

I'd like to point out something here in case you have tried some trial version of bluetooth software that you can get from online. Some of these trial software ( ie. Bluesoleil ) disable your 'Bluetooth Support Service' ( a core service that is essential to run your bluetooth device in Windows ) when the trial period expires. I have also seen people jumping into conclusion after using trial version that without paying for it their bluetooth device would never work. So make sure 'Bluetooth Support Service' is running and set to 'Automatic'. You can find that service by going to -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (select it from the list).

For your second question, I have some screen shots for you. In these pictures, Jabra BT350 is my bluetooth headset, which I use with Skype. You can also use two different audio devices at the same time by making your pc speaker a default device and setting up your bluetooth device as your selected Skype audio device in Skype. It actually streams any sound that's playing in my pc to my bluetooth headset when it's set as a default device.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Make your Bluetooth Device work on Windows 7

Hello Rajiv
I followed your instructions and downloaded, and installed Windows Mobile Device Center. (I am familiar with that program, since I already use it to sync my smartphone with my laptop.

First I would like to thank you for taking your time to answer my questions in such detail.

After installing the program, I went to Device Manager. There was no "Unknown Device" listed.
I do have:
Bluetooth Radios
CSR Bluetooth Radio
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

It also shows:
Network Adapters
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network connection

Since there was no "Unknown Device" there, I couldn't go much farther.

Also, the computer does recognize my Motorola DC800 under Devices and Printers, however, the icon for it is grayed out. It is there, but it is not usable.

When I open Playback Devices, it still only lists:
Speakers / Headphones
Digital Output Device (S/PDIF)

I am getting a bit frustrated with Win 7, (sorry about that)

Lloyd

(Solved) Make your Bluetooth Device work on Windows 7

Thank you again Rajiv, for the time you spent with me on this.

After 2 weeks, I got the bluetooth stack installed in WINDOWS 7. For about $15, I bought a Cirago Bluetooth USB adapter, (BTA-3210 V2.1)

It came with a disk that had the bluetooth stack software, (Toshiba software)

I'm now completely interfaced with my Motorola DC800 Tx/Rx device. It appears in devices and printers, and the bluetooth device now appears in playback devices.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lloyd

Mr. Suwal,

I'm having a similar problem with an HP Photosmart Premium C309 I bought today. The printer seems to work over Bluetooth, but I want to make sure I have all the drivers I need (or should I stop?)

I have gotten to step #8 in your instructions - "- Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft."

I can find no "Microsoft Corporation" listing, only "Microsoft."

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I use the HP entry instead?

I would suggest to do nothing if everything is working. The solution I suggested above was for those who couldn't make their bluetooth device sync (connect) with their PCs. There are hundreds of bluetooth adapters ( dongles ) available and some may not work with bluetooth devices / headsets even though PCs are able to connect to those devices. In that case the above solution might help sync with the devices.
( If you can't see 'Microsoft Corporation' under company list, please check your control panel whether you have successfully installed the software. If you're trying to install drivers other than 'bluetooth radio', Microsoft Corporation may not appear in the list. )

Last edited:
Rajiv,

I've tried to do what you have suggested to no avail. My Bluetooth headsets are still not listed in neither the playback nor recording devices list. It was working fine before I upgraded to Win7 professional from Vista professional. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Henry

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Well, I have noticed that most of the headset manufacturers have already posted new drivers for Windows 7. But if you still can't find the driver for your bluetooth dongle then I guess the solution I have described above is worth to try once more.
Here are the important things that you need to check in your computer after installing the 'Windows Mobile Device Center' software from the link above:
- In the "Control Panel", make sure "Windows Mobile Device Center" is now available ( like shown above )
- Make sure 'Bluetooth Support Service' is running and set to 'Automatic'. (You can find that service by going to -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services )
- Make sure you select "Bluetooth Radio" from the list
- Make sure "Microsoft Corporation" is available in the list
- Make sure there's no "Unknown Device" in the "Device Manager" Window after doing all of the above.
- Check for available updates from "Windows Update"

I have 6 or 7 bluetooth dongles which I had bought on ebay and the manufacturer's info was unknown. They are working fine now after installing the 'Windows Mobile Device Center'. Hope this helps.

This information is also available here

Last edited:
Bluetooth And Windows 7

Follow my solution below, and all your Bluetooth needs will be satisfied in WIN 7.

I purchased a dongle : This dongle comes with a disk that has the Toshiba Bluetooth stack software. This went for about the same price as the dongle that you bought.

cirago BTA-3210 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Dongle support Bluetooth 2.1

Newegg.com - cirago BTA-3210 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Dongle support Bluetooth 2.1 - Network - Bluetooth

It worked so well, that I got another one for my other computer. I rely on Bluetooth for streaming Pandora radio throughout the house. I was so pissed when, after upgrading both my computers to Win 7, I temporarily lost the ability to do this.

Both my stereo systems at the house are connected to a Motorola DC800 gateway adapter. (No longer available at amazon, but ebay has lots of them. They are manufactured in China, and really do the job.

I think it sucks that Microsoft removed the Bluetooth support. So much extra work had to be done just to get back to where I was with VISTA.

Now I am once again happy.

Hello singh n,

I had the problem with both machines that I upgraded to WINDOWS. WIN 7 does not have built in bluetooth support. See the following article:

Did Microsoft Cripple Bluetooth in Windows 7? - Gearlog

What you need to do, is install the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack software. I also recommend a Bluetooth Dongle. See the attached link:

Newegg.com - cirago BTA-3210 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Dongle support Bluetooth 2.1 - Network - Bluetooth

Bluetooth is now working fine on both machines. (The dongle also comes with the bluetooth stack software)

Once installed, you will be fine. (You may have to go into DEVICE MANAGER now and then to update the software) If you update it, have the computer search the internet for the update, not the local machine.

Hope this helps.

How to get it running

Hi!

I did everything listed. Now I have a Bluetooth Device in the Device Manager. The Mobile Center is installed, the adapter plugged in, Bluetooth Service is running as automatic.

But how do I get the device actually running? Where is the "start" button?

Plus, there is no new device in the playback section.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Dicker Bubn

Enabling Bluetooth Support Service worked for me!

Thanks Rajiv - your suggestion to make sure the Bluetooth Support Service was enabled and started was right on the spot for my case. I'd installed Blue Soleil with a dongle that turned out not to work on Win 7, so I uninstalled it. Uninstalling seems to have disabled the service too. When I got a dongle that works with Win7, I still couldn't pair to my headphones - until I found your post!

Re: Enabling Bluetooth Support Service worked for me!

I have been hunting for a solution for a while now. I've read most of the solutions listed here but they don't work in my case I dont know why. I need a saviour =\ .....

Problem:

Cannot pair bluetooth headset with my win 7 x64 Home Prem. laptop. I can pair my phone, it works fine.

Tried pairing with Toshiba as well as Bluesoleil softwares - both show the same error, "Authentication with WEP870 went wrong", see pictures below. I have posted this problem in detail at Bluetooth software installation help but had no luck.... please help !!!!

1.jpg
2.jpg

Thanks Rajiv for this but when I tried to install the software I got this message:

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

So that answers that. I give up now. Something as simple was wanting to see your mobile phone photos on a computer seems beyond Windows 7 (64 bit). I can at least see them on my laptop which is Vista!

Help!! I have a Late 2010 Macbook Air with BootCamp Window 7 Ultimate running, and several bluetooth headsets (Plantronics, Jabra, Motorola). All of them work out of the box on the Mac side, for audio streaming. None of them work on the Windows side. Is it wrong to conclude that the hardware on the laptop is capable of streaming since it all works fine in OSX? What is missing in Windows 7 that is preventing this from happening? I've tried everything in this article and others to no avail - I have purchased a dongle, and that does work, but I'd rather not have to sacrifice a USB port for this, when the hardware is built in - thanks

Back