Windows 7 Manually created Wireless network definition is hidden except when in range of access point, how can

Geoffrey Smith

I have been given a new laptop, lucky me, and when I first ran the thing up, I manually created a wireless network access point that I know I would use in the future, its one of my regular access points, all fine here.

When I came to connect to the access point it continually fails, so I've made an error in the definition as all my other connections work just fine.

I can always see the connection in the list of available networks when the ap is in range but I have never been able to connect to it.

I cannot find anywhere to be able to edit it.

If I goto the manage wireless networks panel, the network does not appear.

This is driving me nuts, all I want to do is to delete the definition and then create a new connection when I next visit the location.

Please help...

Geoffrey:(:confused:

Hello Geoffrey and welcome to the forums. A difficult problem that apparently many have encountered.
First make sure that the problem wireless connection is not be perpetuated by some type of third party wireless management software installed on your computer as part of a manufacturer's driver package. If any such software is present, consider uninstalling it and allowing the Windows 7 built in wireless service to manage all your wireless connections. Many laptop manufacturers have this software preinstalled and they can often result in such problems when attempting to manage your wireless connections through the windows utility.
Most references that I can find report that the solution to your problem involves a registry search for the specific "SSID" and deleting any references to it from the registry.
If you are using only the windows wireless service to manage your wireless connections then the registry location that should include the problem SSID is located here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles (examine the subkeys for the Description\ProfileName values that exactly match the problem SSID)
However if you use a third party program to manage your wireless connections the location may be elsewhere and a more comprehensive registry search may be required (starting at the root of the registry, using the SSID name and the F3 key (find next) to make sure you have found all references).
Of course before making any registry edits make sure that you
1. Backup the Registry
2. Create a new system restore point manually (give it a name that is easily identified like SsidSearch).
3. Export the specific key to a safe location before editing.
Seems like a lot of work to remedy a minor annoyance, but it seems the only actual solution that works reliably.
Best wishes and thanks for joining the forum
Randy

Back