Windows 7 Media Center Buttons not working

Unseen

I have installed Windows 7 RC1 , Build 7100 (64bit Ultimate). This is a fresh install, not an upgrade.

Problem is, many of the media center remote buttons do not work such as:
pause
play
skip/forward
next/previous chapter
stop

This is the official Microsoft remote and receiver, not some imitation.

I've had the same problem in about 6 different builds that I've installed over the last few months (all fresh installs, 64bit).

Anyone else have this problem? It also has nothing to do with the DVD movies I've tried, I've tried several different ones anyway so its not the DVD problem.

It seems like you are experiencing issues with the media center remote buttons on Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 (64-bit Ultimate). This issue seems to persist across multiple fresh installations, and you have confirmed that it is not related to specific DVD movies.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address the problem with the media center remote buttons:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Update Drivers:
- Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your Microsoft remote and receiver. Sometimes, updated drivers can resolve compatibility issues with newer operating systems.

2. Check Compatibility:
- Verify the compatibility of the Microsoft remote and receiver with Windows 7. Ensure that the device is officially supported for Windows 7.

3. Software Configuration:
- Check the settings within Windows Media Center to ensure that the remote is properly configured and recognized. You may need to map the buttons correctly within the media center settings.

4. Device Manager:
- Open Device Manager and check if the remote control is listed without any warnings or errors. Update the driver software from Device Manager if needed.

5. Testing the Remote:
- Test the Microsoft remote on another computer to see if it functions correctly. This can help determine if the issue is specific to the Windows 7 installation.

6. Windows Update:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 installation is up to date with all critical updates. Sometimes, updates can include fixes for hardware compatibility issues.

7. Reset Windows Media Center:
- You can try resetting Windows Media Center to default settings. This can sometimes resolve issues related to remote control functionality.

8. Community Support:
- Check online forums or communities related to Windows 7 and media center remotes. Others might have encountered similar problems and found solutions or workarounds.

By following these steps, you may be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue with the non-functional media center remote buttons on your Windows 7 installation. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you have any other questions!

Back