Windows 7 Media center on SDTV??

rejection_man

Hello,

Trying Win7 because I got Tired of MCE2005 not doing everything I wanted. And just so You can all say I told you so I tryed Mythbuntu and could not get anything to work where as MCE 2005 at least played TV and the guide works right from install.

any way on Win7 I cannot get the resolution or screen settings to work on my SDTV. No mater what I do I can't get it to work.

I read something about a VISTA limitations where anything less that 800x600 was not allowed, is this what is holding me back?

7mc is much better than mce2005 and I totally love the interface, so I hope you get it working but need a bit more info before I can give you any suggestions as to a fix..

so I take it your running a second screen outputting to your SDTV via a TV out or something and running it at less that 800x600?? is that right?

Whats the setup here hardware wise?

What res are you trying to run at?

MSI K8N-Neo2 (MS-7025) all board HW was supported by the Win 7 installer. (Sound, NIC, etc)
Nvidia 7600 GT (AGP) DVI Unused, SVGA to 15" monitor, Component out to SDTV.
2 GB Mem
320 GB Primary Disk
3x500 GB storage soon to be RAID 5
DVD-RW

Lowest it will go is 800x600. The TV will not display this....I recall having problems with MCE2005 as well but it figured it out if I cold booted with only the TV on.... Win 7 not so much.

I've tryed every avalible resolution, TV never comes up. Tested with the vid card "list avalbile modes" which got me nothing but a blank screen on both even though 780x420 was listed....

Have tryed the MCE settings for 480i and p no joy as well as 780i.

now that I think of it I'm fairl ycertain I set to NTSC out put is there some where I can check this as there were a few different options its posible that its running one thats not too happy....

oh and hte NVidia drivers for hte vide card have been installed and its Win 7 x64.

right ok... I havent tried this myself on 7 but when I used to o/p to my old telly I used powerstrip to force resolutions which worked.

I have not tried tv output or second display, or powerstrip on w7 myself though, so it's only an idea which you might want to look at...

meh, its giving me and excuse to get a new set.....so I'm spend the better part of the day tringto find ways to afford a new 42"+ FP.... maybe if I roll it in with my appliance replacements.....

ah well, maybe you should consider a projector, being my current favorite gadget! ;)

ok, so you have to have them in a darkish room but if you want a massive hd picture for the price of a 42" lcd then check the optoma range out.

I bought an HD65 which is 720p for my bedroom, but as soon as I got it home, I tested it in my living room and its never made it out again. My 46" lcd was soon moved to the bedroom for use as a Media centre extender.

DLP projectors are really affordable and you cant grumble at a 100", 720p picture for £450! The 65 will even take a 1080p source and downscale it so if you like small icons and desktop real estate it provides. My mate got a HD700 (almost the same as the HD65 only lower lumins (we couldnt tell the pictures apart btw)) for £350 off ebay. Replacement bulbs are about £100 but the original should last until 1080p projectors become affordable.

Downside is you have to live like a troll and keep the curtains shut :/ Still, food for thought!

good option.

still no joy with this. NTSC modes made no different, tried telling the GForce driver to give the component out a 480i signal but something over rode it when I clicked apply and it went back to 780p.....

good option.

still no joy with this. NTSC modes made no different, tried telling the GForce driver to give the component out a 480i signal but something over rode it when I clicked apply and it went back to 780p.....

Never Mind, Im getting a new TV.

50" plasma at 720P for $1200CAD.

I know its not 1080P, but I dont have the $$ to get the required hardware (satallite,capture cards) for it or to finish the theater room (another $1000 for AV cables setup mods etc). When I do finish it it will be 2-3 teir and projector based :)

Last edited:
Back