Windows 7 Media Player 12 will not work

freog

MP 12 will not play anything, MP3's or Windows Media Video. I even tried to play one of the samples that come with Media player 12 and I still get this error:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled MP12, I have installed both of Shark007's codecs but MP 12 still will not work. The sound card work's with everything else, Windows, Games, and VLC media player.

Anyone know what's going on?

Windows 7 x64

I tried both version of MP 12 and they both give the same error. Do you think it could be the Audigy 2 ZS Gamer sound card? It has Win 7 drivers and app. installed.

My first step would be to uninstal it and then reinstal with "Run as administrator" privlages.
If that dont work I would uninstall and then reboot pc and go into safemode and then install from there.
After that - well I would be on here asking for advise :)

Just found this on another site, I'll try it when I get home!

Okay folks. I have figured this out and hopefully this will help some of you. I have the following sound card: Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

I went to Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers

I went to the Advanced Tab and unchecked the Enable Audio Enhancements

Restarted WMP12, a popup told me taht there was an error with a plugin and disabled the plugin, and I was soon dancing on top of my desk.

I found the information at the bottom of this thread:
Windows Media Player will not play regular codecs such as MP3, WMV, and AVI

Hopefully this applied to other sound cards as well.

Excellent - the joys of the internet - its out there :)

I has talking about the software...

I have been very fortunate with Windows 7, in the beta/RC stage I couldn't get the 64bit versions to work properly even vista 64bit had problems.

However since the nice people from Microsoft gave me win 7 ultimate final on 6th Oct I have been running 64bit since and have not had a single crash or lock up :O AND all my programs work well even Enemy territory. :):)

Back