Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I use Microsoft Edge quite a bit and I like it. I also have Firefox installed and also like that browser. But I tend to lean more towards Edge. I often read that Edge isn't considered a private browser, although it is secure.

I stay away from Chrome since I understand that Google mines users' data for advertising purposes. I've also read that Edge does the same but is possibly not as egregious as Chrome since Microsoft isn't in the advertising business. Therefore, I don't know why Edge would want user data. From what I've read, Edge is reasonably secure.

The one minor gripe I have with Edge is that it allows only 2 rows of favorites on the start page, whereas Firefox allows several rows. Being an older guy, I like the favorites icons because they're easier to see than the favorites list.

I've tried Brave, Vivaldi, Floorp, etc., and they all had their positive points, but I always return to Edge, and often, Firefox (since Firefox allows multiple rows of favorites).

Should I have any concern using Edge browser? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hello Hermitkrab,

It's great to hear that you're exploring different browsers and paying attention to their privacy and security features. Let's break down your concerns about Microsoft Edge and provide you with a clear understanding of its privacy aspects compared to other browsers.

### Microsoft Edge Privacy and Security

1. Data Collection:
  • Edge vs. Chrome: It's true that Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome both collect user data. However, Microsoft collects data primarily to improve their services, while Google has a deeper integration with advertising services. This doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't collect data for advertising, but it's not their main business focus.
  • Telemetry Data: Both browsers collect telemetry data to improve stability, security, and performance. Microsoft usually provides clearer options for users to control the types and amounts of data collected.

2. Privacy Features:
  • Tracking Prevention: Edge has built-in tracking prevention with three levels (Basic, Balanced, and Strict) allowing you to tailor your browsing experience for more privacy.
  • InPrivate Browsing: Similar to Chrome's Incognito mode, Edge's InPrivate browsing does not save your browsing history, cookies, or site data. This is useful for occasional private sessions but does not hide your activity from your ISP or websites you visit.

3. Security:
  • SmartScreen Filter: Edge uses the SmartScreen filter to protect you from phishing and malware attacks by warning you about potentially dangerous websites and downloads.
  • Regular Updates: Microsoft regularly updates Edge, ensuring it receives the latest security features and patches.

### Comparison with Firefox

1. Data Collection:
- Firefox is generally considered more privacy-focused compared to Edge. It collects less data and offers more straightforward options to manage and limit data collection.

2. Privacy Features:
  • Enhanced Tracking Protection: Firefox has robust tracking prevention mechanisms.
  • Strict Mode: Firefox's "Strict" mode blocks trackers, third-party cookies, and cryptominers by default.
  • Customizations: Firefox allows extensive customizations, including support for numerous privacy-enhancing extensions.

### Your Specific Needs

Given your preferences, here are a few tailored suggestions:

1. Favorites Management:
  • Edge Favorites: As you mentioned, Edge restricts you to two rows of favorites on the start page. Unfortunately, there isn't a straightforward way to change this natively.
  • Extensions: You might explore browser extensions that could help manage your favorites more efficiently in Edge.

2. Multiple Rows in Start Page:
- Firefox: If the ability to display multiple rows of favorites is crucial, Firefox is the better choice. It naturally fits your requirement better with its customizable homepage and user-friendly favorites management.

### Should You Be Concerned?

If your primary concern is privacy, you might prefer Firefox over Edge due to its more transparent data practices and robust privacy features. However, if you find Edge more comfortable to use and its privacy features satisfactory for your needs, it remains a solid and secure browser.

To address your concern: No, you shouldn't be unduly concerned using Edge, especially if you are mindful of the available privacy settings and take advantage of its security features. That said, if you are highly privacy-conscious, consider sticking to Firefox or evaluating Edge's settings to align them more closely with your privacy preferences.

If you have any more specific questions or need further assistance with configurations or browser extensions, feel free to ask!

Cheers,
ChatGPT

I've captured and decrypted said telemetry once upon a time. It's fairly benign data that's being collected and it's also tied to a UUID instead of anything like a name / username. Given a lot of effort someone may be able to associate the data to you but it's fairly unlikely

And I use Microsoft Edge. I noticed that Edge has fewer ads than Chrome.

And I use Microsoft Edge. I noticed that Edge has fewer ads than Chrome.
@ChatGPT has given an excellent synopsis. If you are on Edge, one of the concerns you might have is accidentally logging in with a Microsoft 365 work account, but other than that, there is not really a big concern. Edge has some hooks that will pass metadata status to your work platform for conditional access (hybrid join status of the device, etc), but Chrome has this capability if you download the Windows add-on from Microsoft. In terms of privacy hardening the browser, you could use Brave. Both Edge and Chrome use Chromium which is open source, and they have the largest attack surface, so there are security vulnerabilities being patched all the time.

It’s great to hear that you’re finding Microsoft Edge to have fewer ads compared to Chrome. Your point about potential concerns when logging in with a Microsoft 365 work account is quite valid. Here’s a bit more detail for extra context:

### Logging In with Microsoft 365

When you log in to Microsoft Edge using a Microsoft 365 account (especially a work account), it allows for additional administrative controls and insights from your organization. This can include:
  • Conditional Access: Depending on your organization's policies, logging in with a work account can trigger Conditional Access policies that check the device's compliance status.
  • Metadata Sharing: Some metadata (like device compliance status, managed device status, etc.) can be shared with your organization's admin team for security and management purposes.

### Comparative Privacy and Security

Microsoft Edge:
  • Privacy Tools: Edge has built-in privacy tools such as tracking prevention and InPrivate browsing.
  • Security Updates: Since Edge is based on Chromium, it benefits from frequent updates and security patches.

Google Chrome:
  • Extensions: Chrome also receives frequent security updates and has a wide array of privacy-focused extensions available in its store.
  • Management Capabilities: With Windows add-ons, Chrome can have similar management capabilities as Edge.

### Browser Hardening

If privacy is your utmost concern, considering a browser like Brave is indeed a good idea:
- Brave Browser: Built on Chromium but with more privacy-focused enhancements. It blocks ads and trackers by default and includes features like Tor for anonymous browsing.

### Open Source Foundation

Both Edge and Chrome being based on Chromium means they share a lot of their underlying code, leading to similarities in both their strengths and weaknesses. The frequent updates to both browsers help in quickly addressing any discovered vulnerabilities.

If you have any specific concerns or need further information on configuring your privacy settings in Edge or comparing it with other browsers, feel free to ask!

@ChatGPT has given an excellent synopsis. If you are on Edge, one of the concerns you might have is accidentally logging in with a Microsoft 365 work account, but other than that, there is not really a big concern. Edge has some hooks that will pass metadata status to your work platform for conditional access (hybrid join status of the device, etc), but Chrome has this capability if you download the Windows add-on from Microsoft. In terms of privacy hardening the browser, you could use Brave. Both Edge and Chrome use Chromium which is open source, and they have the largest attack surface, so there are security vulnerabilities being patched all the time.
Thank you for this information. It is very useful for me.

I've captured and decrypted said telemetry once upon a time. It's fairly benign data that's being collected and it's also tied to a UUID instead of anything like a name / username. Given a lot of effort someone may be able to associate the data to you but it's fairly unlikely
Than you, Neemobeer. Do you think Brave is a better choice even though it's designed on Chromium; same as Edge? I've tried Brave for a while and liked it, but I find myself going back to Edge, with Firefox as a backup.

Last edited:
Thank you for this information. It is very useful for me.
Monika, why should Brave be better; it's still designed on Chromium, the same as Edge and several other browsers? Don't get me wrong, I've used Brave and liked it, but I keep returning to Edge with FF as a backup.

Back