Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essential getting a notice of possible malware when running scan.

spetho2001

Honorable Member
I had not noticed this before but I am getting a note at the bottom of the MSE page that says “Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. it pops up halfway through a scan. You can review detected items when the scan has completed. Does anyone know why this is showing up? The scan does not show anything in HISTORY when it is done. Thank you, TomS

Yes I check all three options every time I run a scan. As I stated, about half way through either a quick or full scan when the scan reaches svchost a notice pops up towards the bottom of the screen that says “Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan has completed." Nothing shows up in HISTORY. Up until a week or two ago you did not get this notice. At the end of a scan I used to get a message saying "No threats were detected during this scan". I do not get that anymore. I do still get the message that says "Scan completed on 81067 items . Your PC is being monitored and protected."
It seems a lot of Microsoft customers are having the same issue and some post indicate this started happening after update KB4012215 was installed. This problem is happening on my Windows 7 SP1 IE11 desk top that I keep up to date with updates. I have a small netbook that has the same Windows 7 SP1 with IE11 that has not been updated (no KB4012215) and it seems to be running as it always had.
I ran the Microsoft Safety Scan just to make sure I did not have a problem and it did not show anything. My MSE does not usually indicate any problems so this Safety Scan was not a lot of help. Just a check.
Antimalware Client Version 4.10.209.0 is installed.
Are you getting any post that I have missed stating the same problem?
Thank you, TomS

Haven't seen any other posts besides this one. I've never really used MSE since it doesn't have a very good detection rate for malware. If something has compromised your system it could certainly trick MSE into thinking everything is ok. I'd grab a couple free scanner tools and check your system with them in safe mode.

Spybot
Malwarebytes
TSSD Killer

Back
Top Bottom