Windows 8 (Microsoft Surface Pro) BSOD - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - Need help finding the causing driver!

xJordy

Hey I am in need of help and am desperate for it.

In the last day my Microsoft Surface Pro has BSOD 6 times after I power if up after being put to sleep. I can't seem to find what driver is causing this and was hoping your guys could help me out!

If you need specs of a Surface Pro I will post, but they should be found easily. :nevreness:

Attached is my dump file.

P.S. First post, excuse me if I did something wrong, I'm just in desperate need of help.

Attachments

• 060313-8656-01.zip
    104.7 KB · Views: 368
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa80056a0060, fffff80028fb27f0, fffffa800472a010}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mwlu97w8x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mwlu97w8x64.sys
Probably caused by : mwlu97w8x64.sys

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

it looks like your Bluetooth (Marvel) driver is at fault and may have become corrupted.
You can download a current version from here:

Surface Pro Drivers | CRASHCTRL

Thanks heaps, ended up doing a system restore, as that seems to have fixed it, but thanks for your help!

Your very welcome! Glad you got things worked out.. :)

So I launched safe mode with networking, uninstalled the old "Marcell AVASTAR Radio Adapter" under the bluetooth tab, then installed the one you linked me by updating the now what was called something like "generic bluetooth adpater" by locating the drivers from the update to the downloaded ones and then it still bluescreens after coming back from sleep. What did I do wrong?

I uninstalled the driver and just left it as the "generic bluetooth adapter" and it still crashed so that cant be it!

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8004d19970, fffff88000a297f0, fffffa80061b5a20}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mwlu97w8x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mwlu97w8x64.sys
Probably caused by : mwlu97w8x64.sys

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

the last dmp file you sent shows the same thing. Whilst it may not be your bluetooth driver exactly it could well be something that is making that driver fail hence the reason it's being flagged.
Often when only having one or two dmp files to work with the task of working out the cause becomes a lot more difficult.
So in your case I'd check what could be accessing the bluetooth to make it fail. Try updating ALL drivers as well as making sure the bios is the latest version. Lastly did you add or remove any software/hardware around the time the blue screens started?

I'm also going to ask a colleague to have a look at your dmp file. He's the real expert in this area and hopefully he'll perhaps see something i've missed?

Well, well, well, I luckly cam upon this thread, Surface Pro crashes after reboot when MAC address was spoofed. - Microsoft Community and well that was the issue, as strange as it is, it's now fixed, but am now left with the issue of not being able to use a custom MAC address, leaving me with a new surface pro that I cant use at school (just my luck) but at least its now fixed (I hope), thanks for your great help, and as it was my first time using a forum to troubleshoot a pc issue I had it was an all round good experience, but was destined to fail from the beginning due to the windows 8 bug that makes no sense and might never even get a fix!

Please update the Marvell wireless LAN drivers also - there's new one's released in March of 2013 available.

If that doesn't stop the BSOD's, then get into the BIOS/UEFI and disable the wireless card there (to test if that stops the BSOD's)
If you can't disable it there, then disable it in Device Manager and see if that stops the BSOD's

Back