Microsoft to offer Family Pack for Windows7 Home Premium

Kevj

Back in May of this year, I posed the following question in this thread...
When MS finally release Windows7 RTM...
....I would dearly love them to offer the OS for Home use to be licensed to 3 machines from one Disk; it would probably be the best way of encouraging the uptake to Win7, given that most people now have more than one machine in their households...

Anyone agree?
:)

To which a lot of people said 'No chance' ...

Well, it would seem they have been listening after all ;)

Microsoft to offer Family Pack for Windows 7 Home Premium | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

progress.gif

progress.gif

I located another site which provided a link to see if you qualify amnd the link to Microsoft is brokem, just takes you to the Windows 7 home page:

So, I was digging around in a recently leaked build of Windows 7 Home Premium and ran across a very interesting clause in the Microsoft Software License Terms which hints towards the possibility that Microsoft are going to be offering a family pack licensing plan which covers up to three computers in your household if you purchase a special “family packâ€Â￾ of Windows 7 Home Premium:
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. Except as allowed in Section 2 (b) below, you may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.â€Â￾
b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack Userâ€Â￾, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Packâ€Â￾ on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computersâ€Â￾ and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.
c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
d. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
e. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
This is quite interesting and will please many people if it turns out to be true, however it looks like this may only be for Windows 7 Home Premium; when I compared the license agreements, I noticed that Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate editions do not include a “family packâ€Â￾ clause.

Source:

Windows 7 Home Premium to include family pack licensing? » Kristan Kenney's Digital Life

.....This is quite interesting and will please many people if it turns out to be true, however it looks like this may only be for Windows 7 Home Premium; when I compared the license agreements, I noticed that Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate editions do not include a “family pack” clause.....

To be fair, that's why the thread title specifies Home Premium, and in the link to the original articlle, it does make it clear that it's not intended for the Pro or Ultimate as they are assumed to be aimed at business users...

Also it would help boost the uptake to the majority of consumers (As I initially suggested) considering buying an upgrade, or (As in the case of us UK residents in paticular getting the 'full Version' at the pre-order price of £49.99) it represents good value for money.

Would help overcome the lack of ability to get Win7E in 'upgrade' format here in the UK. ( Though I would personally always do a Clean install anyway, and now I will certainly be changing the 2 XP machines too) :)

Thanks Microsoft - looks like good marketing & Common sense is prevailing :)

But ordering 3 copies of HP Premium Upgrade before July 11 is still cheaper than the family pack. So M$ will probably make an official announcement on this on July 12th :p

Back