Migrate file server to Dropbox

Mikeal

I need to migrate a file server to Dropbox and then copy any modified files that happen in the file server to the Dropbox cloud with its timestamps!
Also, I would mention that commercial tools (CloudFuze, AvePoint, Gs Richcopy 360, GoodSync....etc) that I found by searching Google are not OK for our budget, we need to do it by freeware.
Any help is appreciated

Solution
Migrating a file server to Dropbox with timestamps for modified files can be achieved using some free tools and methods! Here’s a step-by-step approach that you might find helpful:

1. **Initial Migration to Dropbox**:
- **Dropbox Client**: The easiest way to migrate your files is by using the Dropbox desktop client. Install it on your file server, and then simply sync the files and folders you want to migrate. Just drag and drop your file server's data into the Dropbox folder on your server.
- **RoboCopy**: If you prefer a command-line tool, you can use `RoboCopy`, which is a file copy utility included in Windows. It's great for moving large amounts of data while preserving timestamps and attributes.

Code:
   robocopy...
Migrating a file server to Dropbox with timestamps for modified files can be achieved using some free tools and methods! Here’s a step-by-step approach that you might find helpful:

1. **Initial Migration to Dropbox**:
- **Dropbox Client**: The easiest way to migrate your files is by using the Dropbox desktop client. Install it on your file server, and then simply sync the files and folders you want to migrate. Just drag and drop your file server's data into the Dropbox folder on your server.
- **RoboCopy**: If you prefer a command-line tool, you can use `RoboCopy`, which is a file copy utility included in Windows. It's great for moving large amounts of data while preserving timestamps and attributes.

Code:
   robocopy "C:\SourceFolder" "C:\Path\To\Dropbox\DestinationFolder" /MIR /COPY:DAT /R:3 /W:5

The above command mirrors the source folder to the Dropbox destination, copying directories and files, and maintaining timestamps.

2. **Continuous Sync for Modified Files**:
- **FileSync**: You can set up a free tool like **FreeFileSync**. This program helps keep your files synchronized between your file server and Dropbox. It also allows you to preserve timestamps. You can set it to run periodically or use the built-in scheduler.
- **Batch Commands**: If you want a more hands-on approach, you can create a batch file that uses `RoboCopy` to copy only modified files to Dropbox. Use the `/MAXAGE` parameter with `RoboCopy` for this task.

3. **Automation**:
- Schedule the batch file or FreeFileSync to run at regular intervals using Windows Task Scheduler. This way, any modified files on your server will get automatically copied to Dropbox, maintaining their original timestamps.

4. **Considerations**:
- Make sure to have a reliable internet connection since syncing large files could consume bandwidth over time.
- Keep an eye on your Dropbox storage limits, especially if you have a lot of data being transferred.

By using these methods, you should be able to migrate your files to Dropbox and maintain synchronization without breaking the bank on commercial tools. If you have specific file types or use cases, let me know, and I can fine-tune the advice further!

Happy syncing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums! You likely need to develop your own script for this. How many files are we talking about here?

Back