Windows 7 Minimum Process State Not Respected

wwwKris

I'm trying to adjust the power options on my laptop so that the CPU doesn't run as hot (which consequently increases the fan). I set the "Minimum processor state" to a value lower than 100% but, no matter what value I enter, Windows doesn't seem to be using it. The "Maximum Frequency" that shows in the Resource Monitor always indicates close to 100% - even if the total CPU usage is closer to 20%.

The only thing that did seem to work was to lower the "Maximum processor state" to something other than 100%.

Is there a reason why the "Minimum process state" isn't used/respected or is there something that I'm misinterpreting about how to use the settings? I've attached a couple of screenshots showing what's happening.

max-frequency-stuck-at-100-percent.jpg

max-frequency-at-60%-percent.jpg

The minimum processor state is working as intended. This value tells the CPU to guarantee a minimum amount of power to available with 100% being the cap. The maximum processor state sets the limit for power consumption. Microsoft allows for 100 P-States (each percentage point) while the CPU itself may not allow for that many P-States which if you see a discrepancy in the max frequency and power use that would be why. You should be able to determine the P-State count from the manufacturer site. Here is an article regarding Intel CPU P-States Power Management States: P-States, C-States, and Package C-States | Intel® Software

@neem: Very informative article. Thanks for posting that! ;)

@wwwKris: What this article says is good, and it helps you with managing your Power Consumption during the different modes of operation of your laptop; for example "running on battery" and "running on AC power only-no battery". These are the 2 modes that laptops typically use that traditional desktop PCs do not concern themselves with since they only have the latter mode and not the former. You should know that laptops only will produce a 5-7 deg C drop in temp by changing your Power Options, at best. A proven way for the non-technical user to more significantly reduce their heat production in the laptop, can be done by using a well designed Cooler Pad, such as the Thermaltake Massive model here: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...g_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=24M6F0TAR7Q263WPSMM7
Modern Cooler Pads reduced my temps drastically from upper 60s deg C to low 70s deg C down into the 40s-50s deg C! These are 20 deg C and more drops in my temps on my dual-core Sony laptop (2008) running W7/W10. In fact, when running extreme stress-testing software such as Heavy Load and others on my Sony, I can produce temps in both my cores above 72 deg C during heavy applications such as continuous streaming of online media such as Neflix & Amazon Prime (online TV). I was looking for a solution, as you are to keep my temps down. I'm an engineer by trade, and I spent months analyzing and playing with the 2 power mode options above, and could never produce results that could fix the problem. Most of my use of that laptop (85%) is used for an entertainment device hooked up to my HDMI LCD TV, so therefore I use it on AC power rather than battery except for occasional battery use at Customer sites while troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks for example.

What this has allowed me to do, is to keep using this 8 year old laptop which cost me $1100 at the time still running, even though it has some thermal damage, hence the need for the Cooler Pad to keep the temps down. This has allowed me to forego a $300 Mobo replacement or a several hundred dollar replacement of the entire laptop to something newer now for almost 2 years. Once your laptop begins to produce operating temps above the 72 deg C mark (160 deg F), it becomes thermally damaged, or cooked, and can never be fixed.:noway: This is a stop-gap measure and depending on your budget, you may wish to just replace your laptop if you determine it's suffered permanent thermal damage. Easiest way to determine this is to monitor your CPU core temps using a program such as CPU-Z ID or HWINFO64 or SPECCY. If your CPU core temps exceed the 72 deg C mark at ANY time during low-usage apps or idle such as just sitting on the Windows desktop or having 1 browser page open, you probably have thermal damage.:waah: If you run a stress-test program such as the Heavy Load and you get occasional over-temp (>72 deg C) readings, you have the beginnings of thermal damage but it's not at the point where the Cores have failed and you can continue to operate the laptop, but those high temps mean that there is partial damage and the longer you run it at those temps the more damage will occur until the laptop will only run for like 30 sec. without shutting down due to overtemp sensor readings. At that point, it's too late because no one can use a laptop that only runs for 30 sec. whether on AC power or Battery, right? o_O You have to either replace the Mobo (very expensive) or replace the laptop.:waah:

You're laptop is about 7 years old (similar to mine) since it came with W7 (unless you upgraded to W7 from XP or Vista), in which case it's even older. That means you may gain 1-2 years of operation using the Cooler Pad solution, but that's it. If your computer is older such as 2001-2009, YOU HAVE EVEN LESS TIME BEFORE COMPLETE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE! :waah::( What's great about this solution *the Cooler Pad*, is that it gives you time to save for a replacement laptop and to get ready mentally and financially to do that, without having to panic and go out and drain your bank account or max your credit card to buy a new laptop tomorrow morning.

In your Post, you don't mention what your laptop is doing as a result of getting hot, besides burning your thighs if you run the laptop from your lazy-boy recliner as I do, is it crashing/hanging/freezing/shutting down when it gets hot? So, I have to guess it's doing something you don't like functionally, or just burning your flesh off your body.:ohno: In all cases, the Cooler Pad solution is a Band-Aid, not a permanent solution, and I'm probably only another year or so away from having to replace my Sony, as if my Mobo goes, I'm buying a new laptop. Laptops built today rarely last over 10 years, so neither of us will be running our old laptops much after 2018-2019. If it buys you or I another 1-2 years however, it's well worth the $20-$30 investment don't you agree? Lastly, I have used this solution for several of my Customers with aging laptops, and they are so thankful for this simple solution to stretch their investment out a bit further.:p

Hope this gives you some insight into your problem.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thank you very much for the replies @Neemobeer and @BIGBEARJEDI. So, if I understand correctly, there's no real way for me to set it so that it will go up to 100% if necessary but scale back when less than 100% is required, is that correct? Setting the "Maximum processor state" to 60% has reduced the heat (and consequently the fan speed) but, ideally, I'd like the CPU to be able to go up to 100% if required.

@BIGBEARJEDI, the laptop is really just being used to download/stream media to my TV so it's idle lots of the time. Thanks for the link to the cooling pad, I'll check that out as well.

If you set the max processor state to 60%, then no it won't ever exceed that. You would need to manually set it back to 100% to get it running at full speed. The computer is pretty good at regulating itself so I wouldn't personally bother restricting this. The CPU can handle the high temp and are rated to go well beyond what they run at with proper ventilation, heat sink/fan and thermal paste.

Thanks again @Neemobeer - your point re the heat is well taken. It's more the noise from the fan that I'm trying to reduce. Setting it to 60% has done that so I'll leave it there for now. The laptop really doesn't have much load and rarely goes over 20% so I'm guessing 60% will be more than enough.

Sounds good to me also. And since you are primarily running your laptop for streaming media and entertainment purposes the same as me, and you are primarily running on AC power also the same as me, neem's suggestion will probably be adequate for your usage. Though, I still recommend the use of the Cooling Pad to stretch your laptop's life another few years. If you are a right-brained guy like me, I'd go through the exercise of downloading some of the apps I mentioned in my earlier post (CPU-Z ID or HWINFO64 or SPECCY), and monitor your CPU core temps during your normal daily usage before and after purchasing the Cooler Pad. This will enable to see the temp decrease improvement visually, and help justify the purchase cost of the Cooling Pad. Just sayin'.:nerdie:

BBJ

Thanks @BIGBEARJEDI. I'm monitoring the temperature using Core Temp and it seems to be hovering between 50-60C. It's a Core i7 2760QM which apparently has a max temperature rating of 100C so I'm guessing that where it's currently operating is good. The fan rarely spins up now which is what I was trying to eliminate. Thanks again for all of the great information!

Back
Top Bottom