Windows 7 More Win7 Availability News from M$

busydog

Windows 7 RTM Available Weeks Before October 22

The official public release

Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL Microsoft confirmed that it would make Windows 7 RTM available to customers weeks before the Link Removed - Invalid URL. The Redmond-based company is aiming for October 22, 2009 as the deadline when the next iteration of the Windows client hits the shelves and be offered by OEMs preinstalled on new computers. However, by that time, select customers would have already deployed and started using the gold edition of Windows 7. It is the case of Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, which, according to the software giant, will soon roll out Windows 7 PCs for the hotels’ Link@Sheraton. The announcement that Windows 7 RTM will be available to Sheraton guests weeks ahead of October 22 came at the HITEC conference in Anaheim, California on June 23.

Traditionally, "gold version" means the first commercial release, without service packs.

Traditionally, "gold version" means the first commercial release, without service packs.

Ah, I see... Interesting, never realized that :) Thanks for the info. Still, why "gold", that will probably remain a mystery :)

I did try to tell you an October timeframe or thereabouts. Though, as a reminder, RTM is not publically offered. And you will see OEM pre-loaded machines available in stores around that same time. Regular retail OS on store shelves by early 2010 although, I'll suggest will actually be pre Christmas.

Cheers,
Drew

Microsoft has officially stated (multiple times) that the RTM will be released before October (sometime in June or July) and the Retail or 'GA' will be released on October 22nd, 2009. Provided there are no unforseen delays of course.. ;)

Hmm. And that would be why if you don't mind my asking...? :rolleyes:

I would argue that the vast majority of networks running Windows 5 (XP Client) are not being managed properly. In terms of the number of security updates that have been released, I am confident to say that I believe most organizations are not running WSUS and if they have user accounts with limited access and an insufficient IT staff these machines aren't going to be getting updated.

This means poor performance on these computers, lost productivity, major security problems... There are a lot of organizations whereas the "Enterprise Admins" group, in fact, the entire IT department, is one or two people, like where I work.

Deploying this OS is easier and less time consuming than Vista. Performance is on par or better than XP. Resource usage is way down. How can you go wrong? As long as the final bits are done they should release it as soon as humanly possible!!

Back
Top Bottom