Windows 7 Motherboard Bench Testing

yeah I have tried to explain things to people and they don't understand. I think that because I understand electronics that I take for granted that others understand also. used to repair tv when you could and that was always interesting to explain the whys of what happens to electronic components when they fail. still do get some audio amps that are repairable but not to many. I take a lot of peoples old pc desktop and make them run good and donate them to my church so yeah I see a lot simple air flow and cooling problems. fans that have stopped due to dust they were so full. also pwr supplies etc. most hsf and processors always for the most are in tack and work except for fan failure. lots of bad caps on motherboards due to those crap pwr supplies. it gives me something to due and I enjoy it. may be one of these days I will build myself a killer desktop to run flight simulator x on as it seems to be real demanding and can bring most desktops to there knees. as far as all of the super coolers such as the liquid ones just don't see them as any good. I will stick to my simple air cooling and good air flow and no problems. have a good day. poorguy

Part of the problem is some folks believe the "wind chill factor" affect that makes moving air cool on living flesh feel cooler than the air temperature affects all objects. But big hunks of metal are not "living flesh".

too true too true. a friend came over for some help on those wonderful intel pushpins on a new build and since the processor hsf was loose and not secured I ask to remove it to see how much thermal paste was on and when I pulled it off it was like a cheese cake. man I could have done a slew of processors with that amount. I told him that we needed to re apply since it had been spread so he was surprised at the small amount that I had placed on the processor. fired it up and all was well old core 2 duo temps seemed real good. you got to laugh. it keeps us in work. other than the paste he did a real good job cables all tucked away etc. I guess it is best to see thermal paste applied before you try if you never have done it. as you said it is amazing. have a good day. poorguy

as I look back to the early days of my electronics days I realize all of the mistakes that I have made on different repairs. the more repairs that I did the better that I became at doing things the right way. my soldering and wiring and component repairs came easier and results were greatly improved as were the same with trouble shooting skills. over the years electronics is more and more in our lives as it becomes smaller and does so much more it has become disposable and not much can be repaired just replaced(progress). in this day and age I guess there is no real need for real trouble shooting skills just the basic amount of need to know skills on the how to of doing what is called today as electronics repair. I am glad that I was able to be in the world of real electronics and to be able to understand the why and to know the how of electronics components. Oscilloscopes/Signal Generators/ Vtvm and all of the other test equipment that was used to trouble shoot with. yes Digerati you are so right it is amazing to understand. poorguy

Too much TIM (thermal interface material) is a common newbie mistake. When providing TIM advice, I remind users that direct metal-to-metal contact between the mating surfaces provides the best thermal transfer conditions. And the purpose of TIM is ONLY to displace any trapped (insulating) air in the microscopic pits and valleys of those mating surfaces. Any excess TIM is in the way and counterproductive to the heat transfer process.

my soldering and wiring and component repairs came easier and results were greatly improved as were the same with trouble shooting skills
Soldering is a "skill" and like all skills (including things like driving a car) you MUST stay practiced at it to remain good.

I was fortunate while in the Air Force, they sent me to "Micro-miniature Soldering Techniques" school. 10 full days of formal hands-on training in a "clean" electronics lab learning how to repair multi-layered circuit boards populated with very heat sensitive discrete solid-state and integrated devices. The instructor was the pickiest I have ever seen. Each soldering joint had to be nothing short of perfect - and that only comes with speed and skill. If not perfect, you then had to do a perfect "desoldering", cleaning, then resoldering before moving on.

While I still have the knowledge, my "skills" have diminished as my soldering pencil stays cold most of time these days.

I just realized this is seeker's thread and we (thanks in much, due to me!) have driven it way off-topic. Sorry Seeker. Back to you.

yes we have. I agree. it is all about air flow and TIM. we drifted due to perfection and how to. Amazing. good talking to you it is good to know that there is others as ourselves. poorguy

hey Digerati, no apology needed. no explanation needed. you are sharing wisdom that has been lived through experience. poorguy

Digerati,

I just realized this is seeker's thread and we (thanks in much, due to me!) have driven it way off-topic. Sorry Seeker. Back to you.

Carry on, this thread has already served it purpose for me.

hey Seeker, this has always been a problem for me start talking with someone and it always leads to something else. I guess we should have moved it to the water cooler. have a good day. back to the ham radio forum where I belong. enjoyed the conversation with everyone. poorguy

poorguy said:
hey Digerati, no apology needed. no explanation needed.
Thanks but sorry, it is not your call as it is not your, or my, thread. My apologies were directed at Seeker.

Digerati,

Carry on, this thread has already served it purpose for me.
Great! Thanks - just wanted to make sure we did not run you off.

you are right and no one was ever trying to run anyone off. i apologize. never said that it was my call. i thought that we were just talking and yes we ran off the subject when we should have moved it to the water cooler. Amazing. enjoy love windows 7 or 8 forums which ever is preferred. poorguy

i thought that we were just talking
We were and no harm in that.
and yes we ran off the subject
No harm in that either - as long as the OP is not left abandoned.
when we should have moved it to the water cooler
Well, I personally don't think that was/is necessary either unless an OP's issue is still being "worked" and the OT tangent is WAY OT and is interfering with resolving the OP's issue. In this case, we established the OP, Seeker, was not being shoved aside so no harm done. :)

Edit add: fixed typo - missing word.

Last edited:
Cool. probably catch you guys on a different thread. enjoy the day I am. poorguy

Back
Top Bottom